Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No overtime pay

Default No overtime pay

In our office, the no overtime pay policy is enforced. That means you don't get extra payment no matter how long your work overtime. But in fairness ot the employee, there is a corresponding vacation or day off with the number of hours of overtime work. Some employees are complaining because they want money in exchange for their extra labor. But our office is firm in not paying extra because their reason is to prevent abuse of overtime work.

Default Re: No overtime pay

They can always set a limit to overtime work, I really don't understand why a policy like this would be reinforced. Maybe it's too late here, haha! I mean, sure, employees shouldn't complain since there is a corresponding vacation of hours of overtime work.

Member Plus

I actually like that idea.
    Work more and take more time of for vacation. Helps with the work/life balance, spending time with family and friends.
    If you really need cash one year I took a "working vacation" where I took time off work (paid) and delivered pizza's as well as did a few side renovation jobs. Got my normal paycheck and as well made about a thousand dollars cash (just don't tell the tax man please )
    Hey Corzhens, are these employees allowed to save that time up? Like could they work a few year doing overtime and they say take 2 months off next year?

Some of my staff are doing just that - working overtime to compile a good number of days for vacation. However, our HR is strict on that. The overtime hours you rendered will have an equivalent number of days for a day off that should be availed (or used) within the week otherwise it will be forfeited. So that means you cannot pile up your day off to have a vacation in the Carribean.

Bronze Member

When this plant opened about 3 years ago, this was supposedly a strict policy too. But at certain times of the year, like before the holidays, and when production begins to lag, overtime is allowed. It is extremely expensive, but it probably happens 3-4 times a year, with about 5-6 weeks of almost everyone with OT pay.

Quote Originally Posted by primalclaws1974 View Post
    When this plant opened about 3 years ago, this was supposedly a strict policy too. But at certain times of the year, like before the holidays, and when production begins to lag, overtime is allowed. It is extremely expensive, but it probably happens 3-4 times a year, with about 5-6 weeks of almost everyone with OT pay.
    The HR department should have taken note of that excessive overtime. With a straight computation, overtime pay is more expensive than regular pay. So the equation is something like this. A company with 10 workers render 48 hours a week for each that totals 480 hours. When they all work 1 hour overtime that means there is an overtime work of 10 hours to be paid using overtime rate which is time and a half. When the overtime work becomes regular then it is cheaper to hire one more worker instead of making the 10 work overtime.

If you really want to enforce this: Set up consequences. If someone works overtime then they need to be written up. That would cut it out real quick. They would still need to be paid, but having people work and no be paid is wrong. Even if there's a policy against it. Morally -- It Is Wrong. They worked and your company is refusing to compensate them for their time in payment. Who cares about vacation days? They worked the hours, and so they must be paid for the hours they work. If you all are not careful then you may have some legal action headed your way.

Like I said before, set up consequences for working overtime.

Diamond Member

I worked as a graphics designer in an IT company once and since my job was just to complete projects I was never paid for overtime but I thought it was still fair since when there were no projects to finish I could rest as opposed to my coworkers who always had work to finish regularly. I'm not sure if they were paid when they worked overtime but I'm thing for them it would have been more fair whereas for me I think it was fair enough.

Diamond Member

The compensation landscape has changed and employers are cutting out of the usual payment options and benefits which were available in the past. The bottom line is now making more money and the compensation and welfare of the workers are taking a back seat. Many companies will not pay overtime but they would readily want some workers to do as much work as it would take three workers to do.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorerx7 View Post
    The compensation landscape has changed and employers are cutting out of the usual payment options and benefits which were available in the past. The bottom line is now making more money and the compensation and welfare of the workers are taking a back seat. Many companies will not pay overtime but they would readily want some workers to do as much work as it would take three workers to do.
    This is really the case and it is unfortunate. I suppose there is still some balance to it as surely workers in the past also had their share of issues to deal with but probably with today's exponential increase of competition and resources, workers are expected to sacrifice more than ever since replacement has gotten much easier.