Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No overtime pay

Default Re: No overtime pay

The movie industry in the Philippines is now changing some rules regarding work hours of people in the movie and tv production. From the present unlimited hours per day, the department of labor is hinting on a maximum of 14 hours of work in a day. Workers in the movie industry are complaining that they sometimes work for 20 hours and being paid 1 day wage. Obviously the producers are shortchanging the workers particularly those in the production staff who cannot complain since there is no security of tenure in the movie production, they are all contractuals.

Member Plus

So, let me check if I got this straight, your boss doesn't want to encourage over time work because that would mean he has to pay more, but still wants over time in his company? What kind of business is this, where you don't want to spend money, even if that means people are doing their job just right and even more? And why do people still do overtime there when it is clearly not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by GenevB View Post
    So, let me check if I got this straight, your boss doesn't want to encourage over time work because that would mean he has to pay more, but still wants over time in his company? What kind of business is this, where you don't want to spend money, even if that means people are doing their job just right and even more? And why do people still do overtime there when it is clearly not worth it?
    That is the customary working hours in the movie industry. A day of work can be extended to 24 hours depending on the discretion of the director and producer. When the people quit working after 8 hours to the detriment of the project then for sure they wouldn't be hired anymore in subsequent projects. It is sad that movie industry workers are being treated like slaves. The reason why this issue of working hours came to fore was the deaths of some directors that they suspected were due to over fatigue and excessive stress from work.

Bronze Member

That's absolutely no good to me. If you're getting paid per time you spend at work... you definitely should be paid for every minute you did as an overtime.

We have it worked into our contracts that we have to work overtime if necessary to the project but we will not be paid for any overtime worked.

Silver Member

Lack of overtime pay is inhuman. It does not account for the human need for rest - it is simply a product of ambition and unhealthy management. This is one of the key problems with society - that people in power are so willing to harm the health of others for personal gains.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunneler View Post
    Lack of overtime pay is inhuman. It does not account for the human need for rest - it is simply a product of ambition and unhealthy management. This is one of the key problems with society - that people in power are so willing to harm the health of others for personal gains.
    I might just be missing something but I'd just like to know what you think because I think there is some responsibility from workers to stop this type of abuse as well, since if there is no one who will allow themselves to be victimized then the pattern will stop. I'm guessing the biggest hurdle in this is that a lot of people might feel like they have not much options in getting a new job so they tend to put up with harmful conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreht View Post
    We have it worked into our contracts that we have to work overtime if necessary to the project but we will not be paid for any overtime worked.
    In that case, how can the worker complain for the unpaid overtime work? Those contracts are the usual agreement in project-based jobs like the movies. But in construction companies. they also render overtime but the workers are fully paid except for the engineers who have those contract called "free time" because they can work any time. But I agree that lack of overtime pay is inhuman because even if the person has nothing to do but his time is consumed in the job like a security guard.

I kinda like the way this sounds. Sounds like a good idea and even better than overtime pay. I think as long as its disclosed before they start working for you, then they cant really complain reguardless.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    In our office, the no overtime pay policy is enforced. That means you don't get extra payment no matter how long your work overtime. But in fairness ot the employee, there is a corresponding vacation or day off with the number of hours of overtime work. Some employees are complaining because they want money in exchange for their extra labor. But our office is firm in not paying extra because their reason is to prevent abuse of overtime work.
    We normally pay extra for any overtime above 30 minutes of work.

We cannot afford to give them a holiday on any other day as we follow a 6 day work week.

Also, we monitor the work of the employees strictly and therefore, there is no question of overtime abuse at all.

Our policy is working very well and our efficiency of employees is constant at 87% or so.