Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is outsourcing riskier?

Default Is outsourcing riskier?

Is outsourcing riskier than producing domestically? I mean, you have to deal with a whole new set of laws and regulatory issues. You might also encounter a lot of corruption. What are your experience regarding this issue?

Default Re: Is outsourcing riskier?

Do you mean to say outsourcing from abroad? Well, a cousin has been outsourcing their footwear products from Chinese factories. He said that China has very lax regulations and seems to be very accommodating to foreign companies. The reason for the outsourcing was when their local factory was hit by a labor strike. The owner got fed up and closed the factory. Now it is more convenient to outsource to China than having their own local factory.

Diamond Member

I don't think it's that much riskier as long as it's theoretically more beneficial for the business to go that route. Even if it takes a lot more effort to set up a new system in a foreign place, it might be even riskier to stay put and garner less profits. I think all places have their advantages and disadvantages and the best leaders always have a good way of measuring which one would yield the most benefits while acquiring the least disadvantages.

Persevering in what the locals can offer is not a good idea. Businessmen are innovators and for a business to prosper, it should look for other means that are better and more profitable in terms of supply and demand. Sometimes outsourcing from other countries appear to be a tedious task particularly with the establishment of a branch office but in the long run, the profit derived from that branch is worth the trouble. A simple software house that my husband used to work with was organized by a Japanese as a branch of their software house in Japan. And they earn a lot from it.

Member Plus

Don't forget there is a difference between outsourcing and offshoring.
    Outsourcing just means you hire someone else to take care of certain business aspects, hiring an accounting or auditing firm is an example of outsourcing.
    Offshoring is moving production to another country to take advantage of favorite conditions there (I.E cheap labour)

Here we have the BPOs - business process outsourcing - which is hiring a firm for the required manpower. The forerunner of the BPOs are the so called labor agencies that are prevalent with maintenance people, those are the janitors, messengers and other laborers who can do the dirty work in the office. Until now those agencies are still in existence but they are called labor agencies. With BPOs, they are mostly the call center agents provided by local companies in cooperation with foreign principals.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    Here we have the BPOs - business process outsourcing - which is hiring a firm for the required manpower. The forerunner of the BPOs are the so called labor agencies that are prevalent with maintenance people, those are the janitors, messengers and other laborers who can do the dirty work in the office. Until now those agencies are still in existence but they are called labor agencies. With BPOs, they are mostly the call center agents provided by local companies in cooperation with foreign principals.
    Funny enough the biggest Canadian BPO is just called "manpower."

Did you ever heard how the USA used to use India for a lot of it's call centers?
    I am sure they still do, but a lot have switched to Canadian call centers, our dollar makes it a little cheaper and Americans seem to like it better.
    I have to say, it's because a lot of them are just plain racist. It's just how it is in a lot of the USA, I have personally heard the phase "get someone who can speak English" when they person can, they just have an accent.

A lot of outsourcers have an idea in mind about the best locations for outsourcing, so if there are any regulatory or law issues then it's probably not worth outsourcing in that area. A lot of the big countries like China or India have outsourcing accomodation.

The Philippines have a pro-labor law that's why I am surprised with the proliferation of BPOs, the business process outsourcing. Workers and employees here are allowed to go on a strike and not a few big companies were victims to that trick by labor unions. But in fairness to the labor unions, I haven't seen a strike yet in any of the foreign BPO particularly the call centers. Maybe they understand that foreigner are easy to scare with those labor tricks and they are careful in their moves.

Platinum Member

I do not think outsourcing is riskier than any other business out there. Regardless of the venture you have in mind, the risks will always be there. It's a matter of implementation, the amount of trust between you and your business partner and luck. Meaning, other factors beyond your control are cooperating as well (i.e. weather, the absense of natural calamities, etc.).