Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free snacks in the office

Default Free snacks in the office

I once visited my nephew in his Hongkong office and I was surprised to find so many snacks on the table in the reception area. My nephew said that their company provides free snacks so they (the employees) could eat when hungry and no need to go outside to buy. The new concept is geared towards saving time since going out of the building to buy something takes a lot of time. And if the employees would do that every day, think of the time the company saves in exchange for the free snacks.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Free snacks in the office

My previous company had a snack bar as well although it wasn't really as stocked as I would have preferred. They always had crackers but I'm not particularly fond of those so I always just brought my own. We had a store just a few floors down the so I guess it wasn't really that much of a problem but I agree that maybe saving me that five or ten minutes daily would probably have been much better for them.

Our company is planning on opening a snack bar in a couple of months as well, but I'm still gonna pack food from home since I like to eat healthier. I will just take a couple of snacks and drinks from there, but this is a cool initiative! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzyon View Post
    Our company is planning on opening a snack bar in a couple of months as well, but I'm still gonna pack food from home since I like to eat healthier. I will just take a couple of snacks and drinks from there, but this is a cool initiative! :P
    In the US, as per the story of my relatives, most offices have the vending machine that offers drinks, sandwiches, and even fruits. That is their excuse for saving time since workers need not go to the building cafeteria especially when the building is a large one. But that still pales with Bloomberg's style of offering free snack foods. Do you know of a company that offers free food absolutely? I mean food not only for snack but also for meals. It would be such a wonderful experience to work in that kind of office.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzyon View Post
    It's good that your company is taking steps to make it more comfortable for employees, but if you think it doesn't meet your needs then maybe you could give a suggestion to the ones in charge to maybe put in a section for healthier options. I'm sure they wouldn't mind considering it since it is in their best interest to keep their employees healthy.

After graduating from college, one of our classmates was hired for an apprenticeship work in the rural areas particularly in the mining area. He is part of the logistics team that handles everything, from the equipment used by the miners to the needs of the miners up to admin work. He said that it is like working in a ship because everything they need were provided by the company. And I said of course because they were in the mountains and there were no stores around.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    After graduating from college, one of our classmates was hired for an apprenticeship work in the rural areas particularly in the mining area. He is part of the logistics team that handles everything, from the equipment used by the miners to the needs of the miners up to admin work. He said that it is like working in a ship because everything they need were provided by the company. And I said of course because they were in the mountains and there were no stores around.
    I have a friend who works in a ship so I can imagine those types of conditions. These are extreme case examples though of course which is why it is commendable when offices with lots of stores nearby are willing to give their employees such bonuses like this one, although it is more an investment of course as long as employees don't take advantage of it too much to the point of exploitation.

I have looked at providing snacks as a means to keep my employees happy, however, the idea of using them as a tool to save time and money is certainly an interesting one, however, in that scenario the food would have be a bit more consistent that the fruits, biscuits, coffee and tea we typically offer.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by JWill View Post
    I have looked at providing snacks as a means to keep my employees happy, however, the idea of using them as a tool to save time and money is certainly an interesting one, however, in that scenario the food would have be a bit more consistent that the fruits, biscuits, coffee and tea we typically offer.
    It's definitely tricky as you also have to figure out many factors that may be unforeseen such as employees taking advantage. I think it works in specific conditions and for some other types of businesses it might not be as advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by JWill View Post
    The food would depend on the nature of work. When we have workers doing repairs in the house, we serve them meals and snacks outside of the agreed contract of work. That is to give them a bit of motivation and probably solicit some gratitude so they would do an honest work in return. For an office worker, snacks are important since it drives away budding hunger but it is not satisfying enough like a meal. But I also understand that the generosity can be abused by opportunists. So maybe it is okay if there is a strict control.