Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Free snacks in the office

  1. #11
    Forum Manager Starbucks Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Midlands, (Formally an Essex Barrow Boy)
    Posts
    1,149

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    I work on the Trading Floor of a major grocery and general merch retailer in the UK, there is always free food floating about the office, it's a wonder i'm not 20stone..

    Starbucks Junkie
    Happy Coffee and Panini day.
    Roll on Christmas..mmmm.. Gingerbread Latte



    I am proud to work for Europe's leading Single Price Retailer

    Poundland Retail
    Dealz (Part of the Poundland Family)

    I am pleased to be associated with Himsworth Consultancy - The Supply Chain Performance Improvement Specialists
    Himsworth Consultancy

  2. #12
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    This happens somewhat regularly here too, but geared more toward office people (which only account for about 8% of the staff). As we are a food factory, there are times that company will offer meals to the employees for free, but it is usually not well-received. If a person is dealing with the same food day in and day out, they are probably not looking forward to eating it as well.

  3. #13
    Diamond Member Corzhens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,618

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Quote Originally Posted by primalclaws1974 View Post
    This happens somewhat regularly here too, but geared more toward office people (which only account for about 8% of the staff). As we are a food factory, there are times that company will offer meals to the employees for free, but it is usually not well-received. If a person is dealing with the same food day in and day out, they are probably not looking forward to eating it as well.
    This reminds me of a former classmate who used to work in a fastfood like McDonald's. She said that employees of their outlet are given 50% discount for the food that they eat (does not include take out). But she seldom eat their product because she said that the mere smell of their food makes her stomach revolt. Especially the fries and the burger, she had lost the appetite so she prefers to bring her own food than buy their product.

  4. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Here in the US, we have vending machines or self serve convenient stores like you would find in an airport. It definitely saves time, but not necessarily money. We have a "Company Kitchen" where we have cards that we can add money to, or pay with cash or card. It's monitored by a 24 hour loss prevention system as well. You just grab what you want, scan it and pay for it. It's a nice feature to have, especially on days where you don't want to leave the building for your 30 minute lunch.

  5. #15
    Gold Member nytegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Quote Originally Posted by acheno84 View Post
    Here in the US, we have vending machines or self serve convenient stores like you would find in an airport. It definitely saves time, but not necessarily money. We have a "Company Kitchen" where we have cards that we can add money to, or pay with cash or card. It's monitored by a 24 hour loss prevention system as well. You just grab what you want, scan it and pay for it. It's a nice feature to have, especially on days where you don't want to leave the building for your 30 minute lunch.
    There are also plenty of offices that do free snacks in the USA. It differs by employer greatly.

  6. #16
    Diamond Member Corzhens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,618

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Quote Originally Posted by acheno84 View Post
    Here in the US, we have vending machines or self serve convenient stores like you would find in an airport. It definitely saves time, but not necessarily money. We have a "Company Kitchen" where we have cards that we can add money to, or pay with cash or card. It's monitored by a 24 hour loss prevention system as well. You just grab what you want, scan it and pay for it. It's a nice feature to have, especially on days where you don't want to leave the building for your 30 minute lunch.
    Do you mean to say that the company kitchen is like a deli shop with foods that you can buy? That is neat because it really saves a lot of time for the employees in obtaining their food particularly the snacks. And even if our lunch period here is 1 hour, that saved time from going out of the building can be spent on resting or even a nap. Truly, those food inside the office building is a great way of saving time. Can you imagine the number of employees who would have an extra 30 minutes of their time? That's a lot of man hours.

  7. #17
    Gold Member nytegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    Do you mean to say that the company kitchen is like a deli shop with foods that you can buy? That is neat because it really saves a lot of time for the employees in obtaining their food particularly the snacks. And even if our lunch period here is 1 hour, that saved time from going out of the building can be spent on resting or even a nap. Truly, those food inside the office building is a great way of saving time. Can you imagine the number of employees who would have an extra 30 minutes of their time? That's a lot of man hours.
    What he talking about is more like open vending with security cameras. You load money on a special card for your food account, grab what you want from refrigerators or displays and pay with the card.

  8. #18
    Member Plus
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    Our company offers free breakfast (bread) and free flowing coffee all day. Everyone has access to a large office ref and microwave oven. No, I don't believe it's a tool for saving time at all because employees tend to linger at the office kitchen/pantry longer than the allowed break time of fifteen minutes each in the morning and afternoon on top of the one-hour lunch break. In fact, instead of working straight upon arriving at the office, people tend to take breakfast/snack at the office pantry instead of having them at home. The big boss actually sees this as a benefit to employees because the company spends for bread and coffee when they don't really have to. It's also a sort of PR work for the company because employees tend to talk about this great benefit and by word of mouth, this actually impresses other people and newly-hired employees. For employees with low salaries, this is certainly a benefit that they will not pass up. For the company, this is cheaper than giving pay hikes to employees.

  9. #19
    Member Plus
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    I've already worked in two companies that had this policy and I can say that the experience was very good (despite some occasional problems that usually happen). I think if it's something developed more effectively and with more commitment, it will have great long-term effects for both sides.

  10. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Free snacks in the office

    My company also offers coffee and snacks during the afternoon. And the thing is that we don't have to pay for most of those stuff. But it drains down the company. I think it's reasonable to say that when company is putting on so much resources on you. Then we are expected to perform. And that's one way to look at things. It's good that companies do give us the free snack. And I do take that as genuine way to keep the workers. That's good too.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •