Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ethical Outsourcing

Diamond Member

Default Re: Ethical Outsourcing

Quote Originally Posted by xTinx View Post
    Well yes, that is true. What I meant to say, though, is that if from the outset you outsourced all of your business functions, meaning you outsourced everything when your company was still small until the time it grew so big, you'd basically be ethical in that regard.

In the United States, for instance, big-time companies outsourced their manufacturing departments to China and India where labor is cheap and fast. In effect, there were mass layouts and a lot of able American laborers were displaced from the workforce. That scenario, although it benefited large companies like Nike and Apple, is unethical in the sense that locals lost their jobs just because companies wanted to cut back on costs.
    I might just be missing something so I just want to clarify, but personally I don't think that outsourcing by Apple or Nike to India and China is unethical. If they didn't do so and their competition did then eventually they would have been forced to anyway and if they remained stubborn then they would probably have lost and even more people would have lost jobs. I don't see that decision being a question of ethics but more just the natural route of capitalism. What do you think of my perspective?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I might just be missing something so I just want to clarify, but personally I don't think that outsourcing by Apple or Nike to India and China is unethical. If they didn't do so and their competition did then eventually they would have been forced to anyway and if they remained stubborn then they would probably have lost and even more people would have lost jobs. I don't see that decision being a question of ethics but more just the natural route of capitalism. What do you think of my perspective?
    It's not the natural route of capitalism but more like the personal unethical decisions of the people in-charge of operating large companies. Outsourcing did not emerge until the late 90s. Back then, capitalists would just go for retrenchment or mass firing. Anyhow, if we take your perspective of "natural route" into consideration, I'd say just because it's the natural route doesn't mean it's ethical. My two cents, though.

Member Plus

I have a problem with companies that outsource everything to save a buck and then act as though they are an American company with American values. i have no problem with other countries that perform work for American companies at cheaper prices. However, the quality of customer service, particularly in the call center field, always suffers. There are other ways to save money on call center duties in particular than to just outsource to people that you unethically know you are not paying a REAL wage to. Anyone that will tell you any different is a liar. I have seen whole cities or areas collapse from companies outsourcing other kinds of work to cheaper foreign labor and it has broken my heart. Perhaps it makes me an unbiased person on this particular subject matter.

I think it's exploitation though. When you have a whole new market willing to work at a lower salary, why wouldn't you do it? But it's incredibly unethical, as the standards of working conditions would be a lot lower, to the point that you wouldn't even call it a job since you would probably make less than minimum wage. But still, desperation is the key target of these companies who outsource their work, and when there are no better jobs available for you, then all you can do is accept the job, toil through the hours, and hope that you can save enough to be able to get out of these outsourced jobs, and get into something with a little more incentives and money while working with hospitable conditions.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by xTinx View Post
    It's not the natural route of capitalism but more like the personal unethical decisions of the people in-charge of operating large companies. Outsourcing did not emerge until the late 90s. Back then, capitalists would just go for retrenchment or mass firing. Anyhow, if we take your perspective of "natural route" into consideration, I'd say just because it's the natural route doesn't mean it's ethical. My two cents, though.
    I think in this case the natural route would be the more ethical decision among the options a company can have because if they continue to fight the current while their competitors go to other countries to get cheaper labor then the company will just end up suffering and ultimately shutting down which will then leave hundreds if not thousands of people jobless, which is an even more negative outcome because if they ended up outsourcing and the company ends up flourishing or even just surviving then they could at least just transfer the few local jobs to other positions which wouldn't even exist if the business ended up faltering. I think ultimately like anything else there is a good and bad way of executing it but as long as the business survives then the decision will mostly fall onto the ethical side because as long as the business is alive then the job positions will remain alive as well regardless of what country those positions may be in.

Platinum Member

I think it's disgusting and a disgrace to our current way of life, and any future advancements for society. If you employ people in a country just because it's cheaper, but those employees cannot make a living for themselves, and they can barely feed themselves, then your products and services should be blocked. It's not up to me, nations don't care how you get your products made so they will allow your company to go out and seek cheaper sources, even if it means hiring people and letting them work in disgusting conditions just for cents a day.

Moraly wrong and very unethical.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by hades_leae View Post
    I think it's disgusting and a disgrace to our current way of life, and any future advancements for society. If you employ people in a country just because it's cheaper, but those employees cannot make a living for themselves, and they can barely feed themselves, then your products and services should be blocked. It's not up to me, nations don't care how you get your products made so they will allow your company to go out and seek cheaper sources, even if it means hiring people and letting them work in disgusting conditions just for cents a day.

Moraly wrong and very unethical.
    I'm open to changing my mind on this but as of now I don't think it is the responsibility of businesses to ensure quality of life of their employees as it is just nature for most businesses to spend only the minimal amount of expense to remain as competitive as possible and to me it is up to the government to enforce rules to protect their own people from such exploitation, or better yet, they should be doing a much better job of increasing the quality of life of the country as a whole so as not to put their people in such a position that being exploited by a foreign company would seem like the better alternative. What do you think of this perspective?

very poor condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Davis View Post
    I have a problem with companies that outsource everything to save a buck and then act as though they are an American company with American values. i have no problem with other countries that perform work for American companies at cheaper prices. However, the quality of customer service, particularly in the call center field, always suffers. There are other ways to save money on call center duties in particular than to just outsource to people that you unethically know you are not paying a REAL wage to. Anyone that will tell you any different is a liar. I have seen whole cities or areas collapse from companies outsourcing other kinds of work to cheaper foreign labor and it has broken my heart. Perhaps it makes me an unbiased person on this particular subject matter.
    The Philippines is reputedly the number 1 when it comes to call center outsourcing. As pride would say, we have the best call center agents and our service is tops in the whole world and India (pardon me) is only second. However, the call center agents handling the local business are terrible. Call a fast food number for delivery and you would wish that a robot is better to handle your order. Even in the cable tv hotline, it is obviously handled by a call center that when you have technical questions, they tend to forward your call to another and then to another and to another, not really knowing who is best to handle your call. Maybe it is the high wages that matters so excellent call center agents are there in foreign companies.

out sourcing is good and cheap, regarding the work outsourced to a country. Generally India and china are good service providers for low cost. They are hard workers also. So, most of the countries using the work force of china and India. But there should be ethical outsourcing. No mind. whatever it may be! the out sourcer want work should be finished at the standards what they expect. Where we have to search of ethical out source.