Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Listening to music while working

Default Listening to music while working

Since I'm a programmer I get to spend a lot of time by myself and not have people bothering me, so I function a lot better with a little bit of sound in the background. I don't listen to music with words, just instruments which I find helpful for focusing on what I have to do.

Default Re: Listening to music while working

In my former office, there was a pip-in music that is played in the entire building. But here in my present office, it is very quiet because our boss is like a nerd who is more on academic and not in socializing. He would always be talking of computers and systems than talking of social life or personal talks. And his reason for the music is that we are not uniform in the kind of music so maybe we can just buy an iPod or an earphone if we want to hear our own kind of music. At least music will not be an issue.

Diamond Member

I work in graphic design so I also am a lot more free to listen to music while working, and I did take full advantage of that back in the day when MP3 players were mostly what dominated the market but I have to admit that these days I much prefer to just having one of my favorite shows playing on a second monitor instead. It mostly does the same function of music for me by which I mean it's mostly just for background noise but I prefer it because I get to have something to watch when I glance for a few short minutes and I find it gives me a bit more relaxation that way because of the short breaks I get in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I work in graphic design so I also am a lot more free to listen to music while working, and I did take full advantage of that back in the day when MP3 players were mostly what dominated the market but I have to admit that these days I much prefer to just having one of my favorite shows playing on a second monitor instead. It mostly does the same function of music for me by which I mean it's mostly just for background noise but I prefer it because I get to have something to watch when I glance for a few short minutes and I find it gives me a bit more relaxation that way because of the short breaks I get in between.
    When I was in college, we had a field trip to a drafting company where draftsmen were drawing architectural designs. Take note, there were not computers yet so that CAD or CADD was unheard of. Those draftsmen were working manually, using their hands to draw the design. And there was loud music. It's funny because the music was classical and the draftsmen were quite young - about 15 guys aged 20 to 25 years. Now I wonder how those draftsmen could relate to the music that was being played by their boss who was around 60 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I would love to be able to do that, but I would much rather be entirely focused on the show or work. I watch a lot of detective/adventure shows where seeing little things/references counts a lot.

The only type of music I can listen to while studying or working is legitimate classical music (instrument only). I'm talking Mozart, Bach, and the other greats. That's it. Anything else that involves singing or even meditation style music is quite a bit much for me. For a while, I thought I could listen to Sundanese music since others claim it got them through studying for major exams. But unfortunately, I lost my concentration entirely and couldn't stop thinking about elephants and movies like The King and I. Lol. But anyway, I highly recommend Bach, there are entire albums 3+ hours long which have been uploaded to YouTube.

Unless I'm doing work of a physical nature or doing some sort of repetitive manual labor I don't like the distraction. When I'm writing, researching or doing desk work I prefer a quiet environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    The only type of music I can listen to while studying or working is legitimate classical music (instrument only). I'm talking Mozart, Bach, and the other greats. That's it. Anything else that involves singing or even meditation style music is quite a bit much for me. For a while, I thought I could listen to Sundanese music since others claim it got them through studying for major exams. But unfortunately, I lost my concentration entirely and couldn't stop thinking about elephants and movies like The King and I. Lol. But anyway, I highly recommend Bach, there are entire albums 3+ hours long which have been uploaded to YouTube.
    I know what you mean, haha! When I was a little kid I tried to learn and listen to music at the same time, but I was only listening to rap and following lyrics at the same time made it really hard for me, haha! I only listen to classical now.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzyon View Post
    I would love to be able to do that, but I would much rather be entirely focused on the show or work. I watch a lot of detective/adventure shows where seeing little things/references counts a lot.
    I feel it's a practice that lends itself better to graphic designers than programmers, or at least With my type of thought process it is most likely the case, because I have a hard time dealing with words and typing and analyzing when words are being spoken in my area either via lyrics or a song or dialogue in shows or movies because it always interferes with my ability to arrange the words in my head. With graphic design I at least just need to focus on colors and shapes so I'm not so troubled by it.

You can listen to music while working because it reduces your workload but if you work needs high-concentration concentration, I would not recommend you to listen to music.
    Simple tasks like programming can be done perfectly while listening to a music in background.

11. Likes Norm liked this post