59 Things - Supply Chain Worksop
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about outsourcing entire plants to 3rd world countries?

Bronze Member

Default What do you think about outsourcing entire plants to 3rd world countries?

It is getting harder to come up with a large company that DOESN'T do this. I once read that Nike pays Michael Jordan more than all their employees producing products in Malaysia. I live near the town that founded Maytag. For decades this was the primary employer in the area. They almost moved it back in the 1990s, but it managed to remain. Then in the early 2000s it actually happened. Beyond the moral implications of putting thousands of hard workers on the unemployment line or early retirement, this can also make it difficult for product quality, and if English-speaking Americans must speak with foreigners, very difficult to understand them. I don't mean to sound like I don't want these people to have jobs, but they generally are taken advantage of, and no one but the company wins in the end. Your thoughts?

Default Re: What do you think about outsourcing entire plants to 3rd world countries?

I live in a 3rd world country called Philippines - incidentally our representative won the Miss Universe pageant. We have the best call center agent in the world and I'm sure we would stand out if a contest for call center agents will be held today. Outsourcing to us in that terms is pretty advantageous to the principal since our call center agents are already experienced and well versed with any line. For our part, the wages offered by foreign call centers are high so there is a long line of applicants to any call center office I see.

Default Re: What do you think about outsourcing entire plants to 3rd world countries?

Outsorcing to 3rd world countries is probably gonna be around for as long as the world spins, so I don't really care about what companies do.. although I feel bad for people who get severely underpaid. Sadly, it's not something you can counter.

Diamond Member

I'm okay with it and I think it's natural for big companies to take advantage of such opportunities. In my opinion the responsibility to protect the people is with the government, and if it is allowed to go on then it is their fault and responsibility even if the company is of course still partially responsible. I get that economics dictate a lot of these events but I believe a better government will not just lie down and accept that fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzyon View Post
    Outsorcing to 3rd world countries is probably gonna be around for as long as the world spins, so I don't really care about what companies do.. although I feel bad for people who get severely underpaid. Sadly, it's not something you can counter.
    On the contrary, principal companies in the US and Europe and also Australia pay a very high minimum wage to outsourced Filipinos in the call center industry. The underpaid are those employed by local companies so there is an abundance of applicants for the outsourcing. Even teachers are now moving to the call centers because of the high wages. An office clerk can earn 18k pesos per month but in a call center, 20k is the minimum for a start and after a month or 2 the amount can be doubled. That is the lure - money.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    On the contrary, principal companies in the US and Europe and also Australia pay a very high minimum wage to outsourced Filipinos in the call center industry. The underpaid are those employed by local companies so there is an abundance of applicants for the outsourcing. Even teachers are now moving to the call centers because of the high wages. An office clerk can earn 18k pesos per month but in a call center, 20k is the minimum for a start and after a month or 2 the amount can be doubled. That is the lure - money.
    I agree. I maybe it's true for other countries but at least here people are paid well enough for the job. I am guessing it also can be partially attributed to the quality of service that filipinos are able to provide since English is very widely used here so it makes it more viable for foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I agree. I maybe it's true for other countries but at least here people are paid well enough for the job. I am guessing it also can be partially attributed to the quality of service that filipinos are able to provide since English is very widely used here so it makes it more viable for foreigners.
    The Filipino supervisors in call centers are very strict with their countrymen that's why call center agents are wont to complain about the pressure they are experiencing not from the foreign boss but from the local supervisors. In fairness to the supervisors, they just see to it that quality of service is always above par so our country will retain the image that we are the best when it comes to outsourcing call center workers. Not to brag but Filipinos are ahead of Indians in terms of quality of service.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    The Filipino supervisors in call centers are very strict with their countrymen that's why call center agents are wont to complain about the pressure they are experiencing not from the foreign boss but from the local supervisors. In fairness to the supervisors, they just see to it that quality of service is always above par so our country will retain the image that we are the best when it comes to outsourcing call center workers. Not to brag but Filipinos are ahead of Indians in terms of quality of service.
    I haven't had experience with call centers from other countries but considering that they have become very popular here over the past decade, I'm inclined to believe that it is working well and I agree that it is probably because of the quality control provided by companies of past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I haven't had experience with call centers from other countries but considering that they have become very popular here over the past decade, I'm inclined to believe that it is working well and I agree that it is probably because of the quality control provided by companies of past and present.
    Another plus factor for the Philippines is the local call centers where agents can have a practice. Any establishment with a delivery or customer service hires the services of call centers to facilitate communications. Like an order of hamburger, the customer's call lands in the call center and when done, the call center forwards it to the particular branch of the fastfood and delivery follows next. That call center agent who handled the call gets the required experience so he can apply to a foreign call center.

Member Plus

If we don't help the less fortunate nations develop industry, how do we expect them to get ahead?
    Considering my entire paycheck comes from importing things from other countries too!
    I always roll my eyes when people in North America complain about sending jobs overseas, because that's how the global economy works!
    It's a simple thing in economics called the law of comparative advantage.
    Besides if you live in the USA or even Canada and tell me that you can't get by and support yourself because jobs are going overseas, I think you need to look at what you are doing wrong.