Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Excessive overtime work

Default Excessive overtime work

When my husband was a computer programmer, I remember he would be working for 3 straight days sometimes. He would only come home to change clothes or to replenish his supplies of toiletries. When payday comes, his paycheck gives joy with the big amount. However, there were times that he would get sick and although he was not hospitalized, we were getting worried. It's was fortunate that the company had noticed the excessive overtime work that was taking its toll on the health of the employees.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Excessive overtime work

This has happened for me as well since I have the type of job that tends to normalize this sort of behavior. I think it's good that the company recognized this and did something about it because most companies don't and all that is given importance is finishing the project. Not that it's important to speak up whether you are the employee or the boss as soon as you notice it because at the end of the day all employees are equally important to the growth and survival of the company so the detriment of one will reflect on all.

One business where this seems to be a big problem, at least in the US, is the restaurant business. No doubt they are working people long shifts because nobody wants to do the job. However, ironically, though, people still complain about illegal immigration. Do you think they have a right?

When I was young, I remember my father doing excessive overtime work. We were having our house built at the time and my father said that it is a good opportunity that they were allowed to work overtime everyday. My father would come home once a week for the change of clothes. He was practically living in the office already until he got sick. The doctor said that he was over fatigued and needed a week of bed rest. That was a neat lesson not to abuse the body.

In the company where I used to work there was a rule of not working more than 10 days in a stretch, 8 hours a day. The office used to close after 5pm. No overtime. Even if we worked for more than 8 hours, we were not paid any overtime. We were given off in lieu of the work done on holidays. Therefore, the employees did not want to work overtime. I think that the employees who are paid for overtime only tend to work overtime. I have seen some people in my present company, who don't work on the week days and apply for overtime on the weekends in order to complete the work. In my opinion overtime pay should changed to time off for the hours worked.