Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which countries do you buy products from?

Diamond Member

Default Re: Which countries do you buy products from?

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    You are right, clothing items are cheap in Thailand and with good quality as well. But Vietnam is also in that line. We were in Vietnam last September and I was able to buy a load of clothing items which were quite cheap, maybe the same as Thailand. Particularly the t-shirts, the material is of good quality. If only I know that it was that good maybe I would have bought some more particularly the shirts and the pants as well. We are planning to go back to Vietnam and my target are the apparel and footwear.
    Yeah I once asked some clothing retailers so see where they were getting their cloth from because they were so soft and I was surprised to hear that they were coming from these countries. From that I started guessing that each shirt would probably have only costed lower than a dollar to make but they were selling it for over twenty, and surprisingly even with that knowledge I still thought it was somewhat worth it just because of the quality of the cloth and of course the stitching, and I would have bought it if only it were a little bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Yeah I once asked some clothing retailers so see where they were getting their cloth from because they were so soft and I was surprised to hear that they were coming from these countries. From that I started guessing that each shirt would probably have only costed lower than a dollar to make but they were selling it for over twenty, and surprisingly even with that knowledge I still thought it was somewhat worth it just because of the quality of the cloth and of course the stitching, and I would have bought it if only it were a little bit cheaper.
    What, 20 dollars for a shirt? That's pretty expensive compared to the cost of the locally made clothes in 3rd world countries. From what my Vietnamese friend said, her country is aiming to be a center for garments that's why they are selling clothes at low prices in order to attract foreign buyers. What is the best way to showcase your products than selling it in stores so foreigners can sample? Give them 5 years and I'm sure Vietnamese garments will be at par with Thailand's products. And the Philippines? It will be left behind.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    What, 20 dollars for a shirt? That's pretty expensive compared to the cost of the locally made clothes in 3rd world countries. From what my Vietnamese friend said, her country is aiming to be a center for garments that's why they are selling clothes at low prices in order to attract foreign buyers. What is the best way to showcase your products than selling it in stores so foreigners can sample? Give them 5 years and I'm sure Vietnamese garments will be at par with Thailand's products. And the Philippines? It will be left behind.
    Yes, unfortunately that type of price is not too uncommon with big brands but they are of high quality so in a way I can see how the price is still reasonable considering they pay a lot to keep their stores in fancy malls. As for Vietnam I think they are making a good move in capitalizing on their garment supply and I'm not too bothered by philippines being left behind as I also dabbled in garments some time ago and I have always kind of felt that it was the case and we seem to have never really excelled in that area anyway.

Banned

probably smaller countries that can't produce the products they're buying; or they can, but not at a great scale, so they import them someone to write my essay .

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Yes, unfortunately that type of price is not too uncommon with big brands but they are of high quality so in a way I can see how the price is still reasonable considering they pay a lot to keep their stores in fancy malls. As for Vietnam I think they are making a good move in capitalizing on their garment supply and I'm not too bothered by philippines being left behind as I also dabbled in garments some time ago and I have always kind of felt that it was the case and we seem to have never really excelled in that area anyway.
    It used to be that the Philippines was the leading supplier of garments in the international market. It was in the 1980s when there was a boom. So many women were employed by big garments factory that are the suppliers of clothing items to foreign companies. However, when the problem of labor came in, those strikes and protests of the workers ruined our image. Big garment factories were shut down and foreign buyers went to Thailand (and probably Vietnam) so now the Philippines may be tops in call center, that's the trend now and the garments industry seems to have been forgotten.

Platinum Member

It depends on the need. If I want to put up a restaurant business that requires exotic spices, I'd import from a number of Asian countries - the ASEAN for one because my country has free trade relations with Southeast Asian nations and member-states and tariff is basically free. Spices grow abundantly in Asia so importing from neighbors without additional costs can present a win-win situation for my business, for my country and for the countries I imported the spices from.

Silver Member

I just buy what's available locally unless it's a bit more necessary. Prices and shipping don't counteract each other enough to consciously seek out lower cost options halfway around the world, sadly.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunneler View Post
    I just buy what's available locally unless it's a bit more necessary. Prices and shipping don't counteract each other enough to consciously seek out lower cost options halfway around the world, sadly.
    I am the same way. I only venture out when the item is impossible to find locally. Even when it's cheaper to buy overseas by the time it arrives at my doorstep all the fees make the price equal to what I would pay locally or sometimes even more. Sometimes it's necessary but I only usually give in when the items aren't too bulky or heavy as that usually drives the price way up at customs.

Purchasing the supply from overseas certainly takes time but if the purchase is part of the scheduling then the expectation is met. There are items that are imported in nature particularly food products like raisins which they don't have in tropical countries. And there's no other way to procure the imported product but either from buying directly abroad or buying from local importers which is a bit high. Singapore is one country in Asia that is getting to be a hub of imported good because foreign countries use Singapore as the stepping stone in bringing their products.

Diamond Member

I am a frequent purchaser of women clothing. I usually access these goods through the US. However, I been forced to stick to the made-in-USA items because I had previously bought some goods which were made in China and the sizes really posed a problem for me. The Chinese size a very much smaller when compared to the US sizes.Therefore, I don't intend to any further to purchase garments which are made in China anymore.