Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Is it necessary to go to college?

Default Re: Is it necessary to go to college?

Whereas, I agree with the statement above that a good mix is necessary, I have found that there is no "secret sauce" when hiring someone. I have had incredibly bright, well educated people fail at the simplest of tasks and high school dropout excel at the same.

What I would say is that currently, in the white collar climate, a Bachelor's degree is the minimum necessary to get in to most jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by KylerA View Post
    Is it necessary to go to college to study IT, I mean I know a lot of computers and hardware and I was wondering is it even worth it? I really need to use some advice.
    It all depends on exactly how you plan on using your skills. If the employers who have jobs that match your skill set require a diploma of some sort, then you would want to go to college. If you plan on freelancing your way through it all, your references and work history would be enough.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by leanchamp View Post
    Whereas, I agree with the statement above that a good mix is necessary, I have found that there is no "secret sauce" when hiring someone. I have had incredibly bright, well educated people fail at the simplest of tasks and high school dropout excel at the same.

What I would say is that currently, in the white collar climate, a Bachelor's degree is the minimum necessary to get in to most jobs.
    I agree. I never got much out of the school system myself and knowing that even my most ditzy friends got degrees makes me believe in it even less, so I try and not make it the highest requirement but I do realize that it's one of the most practical standards of measure to employ.

University and/or college is a necessity for certain jobs. However, it shouldn't be necessary to make a decent living. However, in the last 15 years or so in the US it has become that way. Note, globalization, the 2008 meltdown from financial deregulation, and robots have taken a toll on what jobs are available. Therefore, all that is left are fast food jobs etc. However, at one time those jobs were for teenagers, people just starting out, or desperate people; they were not real jobs.

Of course, now Trump is promising that decent paying jobs will come back but I have my doubts. I think the good things he might do will be outwieghed by the political and/or racial unrest that will be unleashed, and we are seeing some of that now.

Oh, and by the way, only 22 percent of American adults have at least a bachelors degree. Considering the situation I just mentioned, this is a big problem.

In the Philippines, college education is a requirement for big companies. In some companies, a college diploma is needed for promotion to supervisory position. For the undergraduate, it is impossible to be a manager. Of course there are exceptions but the norm is a college degree for employment.

I would have to say that yes it is necessary, I know that experience is essential but qualifications and appropriate training are so important

Yes you have to go to university, it will bring you new skills

This is necessary if you do not have the minimum knowledge to be developed. Even literate speech without education is not put and is not formed. It is also taught.

I agree partly with the author of the topic and with the last post. Studying is important, but it is not necessary to receive it in a college or university. There are many distance courses where you will get the necessary knowledge even when you are already working. This is very convenient. I have so familiar learned Chinese already working closely in China. Just signed up for courses with the language course aggregator https://linguatrip.com/en/chinese/ and for half a year became a fairly advanced user.

According to me, my answer is yes.Though you know everything about the computer hardware and software you need to get qualified from the recognised organisation. It not only help you to improve your career but also help you to improve your knowledge even more.