Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to go to college?

Default Re: Is it necessary to go to college?

I really can't tell you if you need additional training or not. You need to really look at what it is you are needing to be skilled with for the job you want to pursue and if you have those skills. If you do not have those skills you may want to look into how you can better develop yourself so you are more prepared for the work you want to do. You do not have to necessarily go to school but you may want to look into some technical books and see how you are able to get through them or if you need more guidance.

I don't think it is. I'm earning money and I've only finished high-school.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACSMM View Post
    I really can't tell you if you need additional training or not. You need to really look at what it is you are needing to be skilled with for the job you want to pursue and if you have those skills. If you do not have those skills you may want to look into how you can better develop yourself so you are more prepared for the work you want to do. You do not have to necessarily go to school but you may want to look into some technical books and see how you are able to get through them or if you need more guidance.
    I guess you are right but I was more talking in a perspective of is it worth it because will college really give you the things you need? Because last time I checked, all they give is boring theory that you have to memorize and pass a test with a grade on it, and forget all you've memorized and that's it. What's the purpose?

I would say it really depends on what field and company you are trying to get in to. Some fields/companies don't require too much expertise, while others do. You need a mix of good qualifications (from schools) and expertise (from internships and similar work programs) to get a job. It's currently risky to get a job in this market without having a degree and/or previous experience. As time goes by, and people's qualifications grow, the more necessary going to college becomes. So, my suggestion is to at least visit a community college, and try to get some real world experience in the career you are interested in.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Positron View Post
    I would say it really depends on what field and company you are trying to get in to. Some fields/companies don't require too much expertise, while others do. You need a mix of good qualifications (from schools) and expertise (from internships and similar work programs) to get a job. It's currently risky to get a job in this market without having a degree and/or previous experience. As time goes by, and people's qualifications grow, the more necessary going to college becomes. So, my suggestion is to at least visit a community college, and try to get some real world experience in the career you are interested in.
    What's weird is that if all require experience, how would people have experience to begin with if nobody is willing to hire?

Member Plus

Depends on what you want to learn, but the answer to your question is usually NO. You don't need to go to college especially if you have the bases from high school, you can just keep on learning at home, just buy a good manual or look for some really good tutorials. Even at college you are learning alone, only that there are teachers who tells you what to learn, but in the end you have to spend countless hours working the problem yourself at home, that's how usually IT goes.

I recently spoke with the IT director of the County where I live, looking for advice about how to break in to the field. He told me that with the saturation of the IT job market and people with marginal 'home computing' skills, the way you stick out to a prospective employer is to get as much education and experience as you can. Experience can certainly trump formal education, but I think employers these days are looking for both, and they can be patient with their hiring because of the overwhelming number of applicants. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenevB View Post
    Depends on what you want to learn, but the answer to your question is usually NO. You don't need to go to college especially if you have the bases from high school, you can just keep on learning at home, just buy a good manual or look for some really good tutorials. Even at college you are learning alone, only that there are teachers who tells you what to learn, but in the end you have to spend countless hours working the problem yourself at home, that's how usually IT goes.
    That's a very good perspective, thank you.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeronimo511 View Post
    I recently spoke with the IT director of the County where I live, looking for advice about how to break in to the field. He told me that with the saturation of the IT job market and people with marginal 'home computing' skills, the way you stick out to a prospective employer is to get as much education and experience as you can. Experience can certainly trump formal education, but I think employers these days are looking for both, and they can be patient with their hiring because of the overwhelming number of applicants. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    Thank you. Certainly with the world today being how it is, it's kind of a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by KylerA View Post
    What's weird is that if all require experience, how would people have experience to begin with if nobody is willing to hire?
    Yeah. Unless they are only willing to hire people who are already working or worked in the field, they are setting themselves up for a diminishing hiring pool. Many of these kinds of companies need to loosen up their requirements or offer training programs, otherwise they'll be short of talent and thus, fall behind.