59 Things - Supply Chain Worksop
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SAP implementation interface with 3PL warehouse

Default SAP implementation interface with 3PL warehouse

Hi All

I am not sure if anyone here has experienced having to integrate and interface the implementation of SAP with that of a 3 party logistics warehouse own system.

I am curious to find out the potential pitfalls or possible problems that could expected with such projects.

My company is implementing SAP and we will need the systems to interface with that our outsourced warehousing company's system.

Any experiences or input you might be able to share will be much appreciated.

many thanks

Default Re: SAP implementation interface with 3PL warehouse

Hi Victor,

Did I understand correctly from your post that your company is using SAP, whereas the 3PL has a non-SAP system?

I have recently been involved in a interface project with a 3PL, however with SAP systems on both sides. Nevertheless I assume that some of the general considerations will be similar or the same and I am happy to share my experience with you.

A few questions:
    - Which processes do you want to interface?
    - Are there any specified technical requirements from either your side or the 3PL?
    - Are you working with your own IT department or is it outsourced?

Hi JL,

Many thanks for your response. My company totally outsourced the warehousing operations to a specialized 3PL provider. At the moment they currently use a PKMS system that interfaces with our current crap system(opera), we are hoping that they will be able to interface this PKMS system with SAP, ensuring that data we receive on SAP are as real time as possible. I am not sure if there are any technical requirements neccessary but the current interface we use in my opinion is less than impressive, inventory management is a daunting task at this stage. However having said that, there r some politics involved as some senior management exec would like to maintain how this currently works(I wonder how this will happen if we are implementing SAP i.e process re-engineering)

My company is quite small, only about 80 people and some employees are quite proud of having nursed the current systems from birth and thus some resistance to change

Having being bought over by a larger firm(thus the implementation of SAP), I am quite keen to know about any potential learning from anyone who has worked on a SAP implementation project with warehousing operations.

I am quite new in my company and I guess I can only sensitize people to any pitfalls involved with such projects.

Thanks for your help

Hi Victor,

Referring to the interface you have already had running so far, you have at least a good basis to start from, that means to see which parts of the current solution (both the data included in the interface message AND the transmission speed) only need to be transferred to the new system and where you would rather go for a new and improved set-up.

In my experience there was a very good understanding and common expectations between my companyís and the 3PLís management on our interface. The next crucial step was to be in regular communication with the IT people (again, on our AND the 3PLs side) to ensure the interface meets exactly the expectations and to decide if any changes become necessary according to issues discovered during the development and even the go-live stage. Otherwise you risk a rather disappointing result that might force you to re-arrange your daily business processes according to an interface that makes sense to the IT department only, but not to the people who have to work with it on a daily basis.

Is there any chance that the politics and resistance to change will affect the plan at all? From what I read it is a clear message to launch SAP and for an efficient communication with the 3PL an interface seems to be absolutely necessary, too.

Hey friend thats good you want to expand your business using SAP. There are lots of website , which provide all sort of solution, to such kind of problem. You can easily sort out your issue with such websites. Use such keywords in search: SAP implementation , SAP support.

Banned

Using keywords will help you to understand certain things to manage some issue to be solve in expanding your own business.

Why not switch over to a warehouse management software that already integrates with SAP and it's providers can worry about the implementation?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Why not switch over to a warehouse management software that already integrates with SAP and it's providers can worry about the implementation?
    That's a fair point. I always prefer a management software with as much as possible integrated.

My recommendation for SAP services is Innovation Partner, though EBS is also a viable choice, as Marius said.

Maybe this site will help you with the questions https://ro.nttdata.com/services/sap-...and-solutions*