Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Yard Safety

Hello Everybody!

We are trying to develop new ways to improve the safety of our drop yard. Currently we require all drivers both us and 3rd party to wear high vis reflective vests on site. We also have a marked walking path for truck drivers to follow to get to our yard. We have lighting ever few hundred feet along with CCTV. What are some initiatives you have undertaken to improve yard safety? I would say that the elephant in the room is the training level of 3rd party drivers, but without a massive collaboration there is no way we could improve on that. I'm looking for internal footprint only before collaborating with our carriers.

Waterboy19

Re: Improving Yard Safety

Hii,
    There are some tips to improve yard safety
    Don't leave small children unattended around open water features such as garden ponds.

Installing a fence and making sure pools are covered when not in use (just in case kids should get past the fence) are part of proper landscaping around swimming pools.

Install landscape lighting wherever people will be walking at night, but especially around water features.

Roll up garden hoses after use so they don't become tripping hazards.

Comment

Re: Improving Yard Safety

I was referencing my drop yard, where semis drop their trailer and hook up to a loaded trailer. I apologize if my post was vague.

Comment

The mention of reflective vests for safety is a must just like the required hard hat. A safety engineer said that a drop yard is like a construction site where personnel should have full orientation on safety measures. But I have seen one drop yard for gravel and sand where the workers are not wearing anything for safety. The problem here with safety is that companies are always reactive. They only implement what is needed when an accident happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy19 View Post
          Hello Everybody!

We are trying to develop new ways to improve the safety of our drop yard. Currently we require all drivers both us and 3rd party to wear high vis reflective vests on site. We also have a marked walking path for truck drivers to follow to get to our yard. We have lighting ever few hundred feet along with CCTV. What are some initiatives you have undertaken to improve yard safety? I would say that the elephant in the room is the training level of 3rd party drivers, but without a massive collaboration there is no way we could improve on that. I'm looking for internal footprint only before collaborating with our carriers.

Waterboy19
          It's not just the trucks parking marks and the walk path that must be taken care of and looked after in order to to ensure the safety of the yard but so many other variables that should be taken into consideration and treated accordingly. Variables such as proper parking of tools and other harmful items lying around freely in the yard. Also adequate sanitation should be carried out in the yard regularly and the trucks shouldn't be washed in the yard premises.

Comment

Working...
          X