Warehouse Safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warehouse Safety

Warehouses are supposed to keep stocks safe and secure a company's investment. However, I have also been seeing a lot of warehouses either being burned to dust because of lack of fire management planning or crumbling down because of the low-grade materials used to build them. With these kinds of damages, millions of money are lost because of the damaged goods aside from the fallen warehouse itself. With these things in mind, I'm wondering if there are laws and rules governing warehouse planning and management in your area. Are they effective in meeting the concerns of business-owners?

Re: Warehouse Safety

Not that familiar with the laws but I imagine there are probably some regulations especially with concerns to the work conditions for any worker that might have to spend a good amount of time there as their workplace or if the warehouse will be within close proximity with other structures where the owner's possible negligence might cause a negative effect to the surroundings. However if the warehouse is fairly isolated I'm guessing that the owner can mostly get away with being cheap or negligent as I'm sure checkers won't be as concerned.

Comment

There should be, when those people come out yearly to do checks on the warehouse, I can imagine that they most likely check those types of things because on a national level, people don't want to work in warehouses that are not regulated enough so that they can go work without having to worry about things like racks falling apart. There should be some regulation on that.

Comment

Originally posted by hades_leae View Post
        There should be, when those people come out yearly to do checks on the warehouse, I can imagine that they most likely check those types of things because on a national level, people don't want to work in warehouses that are not regulated enough so that they can go work without having to worry about things like racks falling apart. There should be some regulation on that.
        There are regulations on safety. Be more specific. Safety checks are also regulated. Your info says Texas so I am speaking from a USA centered view. Regulations will vary by state.

Comment

Here in the UK, every business and especially any that involves warehouses have come under tighter regulations than ever before. Not only is there safety checks and fire tests that have to be performed on a weekly basis, there's also health and safety checks on the employees as well that makes sure that not only the building itself is safe, but the working conditions are also safe for those working there.

A lot of the laws that have come into place though, in my opinion, aren't necessary an some even cause more harm than good. While I think that any business owner will want to have some sort of regulations in place that they will adhere to, sometimes the checks that are put in place aren't warranted and by having to do things a different way now to how it's always been done in the past causes more issues that have never been raised before.

Comment

Warehouse operations can present a wide variety of potential hazards for the worker. For that reason OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) created a comprehensive set of standards to guarantee the safety of a worker doing his/her activities under hazardous situations, I think this also implies warehouse planning and management. Those regulations may vary depending of the region.

Comment

I used to work at an organization that had a bunch of warehouses, and they had a lot of their own personnel aside from the other workers and there were all sorts of training and meetings that they had to go to, and I am assuming that it was mostly all regulatory stuff and safety standards. There were still incidents, though, and I am pretty sure that those are inescapable It is a dangerous place and when you have hundreds of workers it can be tough to ensure all safety standards are being met.

Comment

Safety was of primary concern in any warehouse environment I have worked in. There were employees that were tasked with enforcement of safety rules. There were safety meetings at team department, and company levels. There were posters, banners and signs everywhere. There were educational pamphlets and other material in the break room.

Comment

It is nice to hear that there are regulated laws when it comes to warehouse operations in most areas. Although warehouses are sometimes overlooked in some places, knowing that there are laws to protect not only the assets of business owners but most especially the lives of the people working in them gives out the feeling of assurance to all involved parties.

Comment

Yes, @gracer, there are laws and ordinances governing warehouse management and maintenance primarily for the safety of the people and the goods that are stored therein. However, the implementation of the law is not that easy because some businesses, especially here where businessmen have the knack for reducing cost of operations, some rules are not followed. First is the fire exit or fire escape that are not observed. next is the cleanliness regarding the safety against fire. When we bought a new wooden door in one wood factory in our town, we saw how dirty the storage was - full of saw dust and wood trimmings and the workers were all smoking. That was scary because I'm sure there will be casualties when a fire breaks out. It is a warehouse of all kinds of wood used in their business.

Comment

When it comes to safety of any business, a lot seems to also depend on the size of the company as well. That shouldn't be the case of course, but even here in the UK w have a lot of backstreet warehouses and businesses that aren't that concerned about health and safety and are more concerned with profit over the well being of their employees.

If they get found out of course, they will have strict sanctions on them imposed, but if the only people allowed in the warehouse are the employees themselves, they aren't going to risk reporting them as they won't want to risk losing their job over it so are more than happy to carry on working even though they know they are putting themselves and their colleagues at risk, and the owners know that and that's how they get away with it for so long in the first place.

Comment

I have seen a recent situation where a large warehouse had caught fire and most of the contents were destroyed because of the intensity of the blaze. It took a massive effort by the fire service to bring the fire under control, fortunately, there was no report of any injury which had resulted from the blaze. Many people were wondering about the extent of the devastation considering that the warehouse was a modern complex. it seems that by the time the fire had been decided the it was at a very advanced stage. It begs to question the effectiveness of the fire safety procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by rz3300 View Post
                          I used to work at an organization that had a bunch of warehouses, and they had a lot of their own personnel aside from the other workers and there were all sorts of training and meetings that they had to go to, and I am assuming that it was mostly all regulatory stuff and safety standards. There were still incidents, though, and I am pretty sure that those are inescapable It is a dangerous place and when you have hundreds of workers it can be tough to ensure all safety standards are being met.
                          Yeah I think this is even more important when you have hundreds of employees working within the warehouse daily. For lower populated warehouses I think you could get away with more but really if it's a workplace as well then the owner should do everything to meet regulations and more because doing otherwise would not only put his own business at risk but others' lives and safety as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                            Yeah I think this is even more important when you have hundreds of employees working within the warehouse daily. For lower populated warehouses I think you could get away with more but really if it's a workplace as well then the owner should do everything to meet regulations and more because doing otherwise would not only put his own business at risk but others' lives and safety as well.
                            I agree. Warehouse owners may spend more on strictly following the proper warehouse guidelines and safety measures but it will definitely benefit their business in the long run. Most businesses which try to cut cost on their safety standards usually suffer big losses when disaster strikes.

Comment

A Chinese company offer a unique warehouse address and receive items for you in China. In this service, OShip dot cc will storage your goods in warehouse. Your goods are safety, no damaged by worms, no damping. Warehousing service is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X