Suitable age for truck drivers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable age for truck drivers?

Trucks are by far one of the most difficult vehicles to drive. It requires high level of experience and expertise to effectively and efficiently drive trucks especially when they are fully loaded. Anyone can't just pick up a long truck's key and drive away. Most accidents involving truckers lately are partly down to lack of inexperienced and low skilled drivers who are given the job. If it's up to me in hiring truck drivers for companies transportation sector, there should be minimum age requirements for such job and it shouldn't fall below the age of 35.

Over here there is no such age classification for a truck driver because the experience of driving is the top in the list. A truck driver to be hired should have a driving experience of at least 5 years which means he should be 25 years old as the youngest. I guess there is an unwritten rule against hiring a truck driver who is more than 60 years old. It is discriminatory but I agree that the older the driver, the more prone he could be to accidents due to the slower reflexes.

Comment

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
      Over here there is no such age classification for a truck driver because the experience of driving is the top in the list. A truck driver to be hired should have a driving experience of at least 5 years which means he should be 25 years old as the youngest. I guess there is an unwritten rule against hiring a truck driver who is more than 60 years old. It is discriminatory but I agree that the older the driver, the more prone he could be to accidents due to the slower reflexes.
      There is a point in what you mentioned above old drivers at least from the age of 60 years being more prone to accidents involvement as a result of poor reflexes then younger people. I'm not ruling out completely the possibility of some older drivers who are still very professional in their job but it's more suitable for a company to hire within the safe age zone between 30-50 years at maximum in my opinion.

Comment

I know some truck drivers who are in their 70s and Id say they drive better than the young ones who are aggressive. Check the statistics and you will see that the majority of truck drivers involved in accidents are below 40 years old and drivers who are 60 and above are very few in the statistics of accidents. Aged drivers, as long as they are still adept with the steering wheel and with good reflexes have milder manners on the road which is needed for a safer trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
          I know some truck drivers who are in their 70s and Id say they drive better than the young ones who are aggressive. Check the statistics and you will see that the majority of truck drivers involved in accidents are below 40 years old and drivers who are 60 and above are very few in the statistics of accidents. Aged drivers, as long as they are still adept with the steering wheel and with good reflexes have milder manners on the road which is needed for a safer trip.
          I completely agree with you on this assertion about the statistics behind the age of truck drivers who are involved in one form of collision accidents or another. The younger ones seems to be higher up the charts and most likely down to how impulsive they get while driving, most of them lack the patience which is required to avoid getting involved with unwarranted accidents. I think that the old we get, the more we tend to value life.

Comment

Working...
          X