Truck Bans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truck Bans

And that's one of the reasons why I don't accept the policy that the customer is always right in the first place. I will of course go out of my way and bend over backwards to accommodate the customer, but I've been in business long enough now to know that sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say enough is enough. Some customers will try and push you as far as they can, and I'm not prepared to be taken for a mug and if there is something a customer want's that isn't acceptable, then they will be told that we aren't prepared to do anything that isn't reasonable.

Comment

I totally agree. I really don't understand why and how this term "customer is always right" has been coined, because as far as I can observe this phrase has been frequently abused by customers who want to put a toll on businesses and their owners. There are certain instances when customers ar indeed right but there are also those times when they are plain unreasonable anymore that an intervention needs to be done to stop them already.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
        And that's one of the reasons why I don't accept the policy that the customer is always right in the first place. I will of course go out of my way and bend over backwards to accommodate the customer, but I've been in business long enough now to know that sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say enough is enough. Some customers will try and push you as far as they can, and I'm not prepared to be taken for a mug and if there is something a customer want's that isn't acceptable, then they will be told that we aren't prepared to do anything that isn't reasonable.
        Yup I agree. I think it's up to the company to set the terms that both they and the customer can agree on and as long as those terms are met then the customer should not really have much grounds to complain or demand. It's not imperative for every business to bend over backwards just to please a customer as sometimes it means putting the company at risk and that is just plain irresponsible to their employees and also their other customers to an extent.

Comment

I think that's exactly my point, and any good business owner is going to have to put their own business at the top of the list of priorities, and while we do try and please the customer as much as we can, there is always going to come a point here we say enough is enough.

Competition is fierce these days, as I'm sure we all know, so the customer is at an advantage as they have a list of companies that they can get to choose from, all doing and offering the same service to the same standard, and while going that extra mile for the customer to make sure you get their custom is good practice, if it's going to be to the detriment of your business in the long term, sometimes it is better to just let that client go.

Comment

Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
            When the task seems to be insurmountable, the supplier can always decline a delivery. And as per the truck ban that is ongoing in Metro Manila, I'm sure the customers wouldn't be capricious as to demand the impossible of getting a delivery during the day time when the truck ban is in effect. So if the customer threatens to pull out of their contract to deliver then so be it.

Comment

Truck bans are pretty effective in terms of reducing congestion and pollution. I mean if you go to Beijing, you'll almost immediately realize that the city needs help. But, the one thing that they've done well is to keep heavy diesel consuming vehicles away from the main city. Unless we can find a solution that will help reduce congestion and pollution, I believe things will have to be done the way that they are being done right now.

Comment

I don't think there are any truck bans of that nature in the USA that go by time. There are plenty of roads that ban trucks, but nothing that depends on time. We also have limits on driving hours that are intended to reinforce safety, but it's pretty difficult to stop truck drivers from working "off the books" since there are no records.

I can remember a driver who delivered to my former job. He was an owner/operator whose weekly round trip was 2,400 miles. He claimed to not sleep during that whole trip. The guy seemed coherent whenever I saw him and I never heard of him getting into an accident, but the fact he did that trip shows that laws about hours worked are somewhat ineffective.

Comment

Also, a lot of truck bans happen during the daytime. So, basically, the whole economy gets its goods at night. And that is not a good way to do business. Imagine the amount of growth that is lost due to these truck bans. While they're important for reducing congestion or pollution, they are not good for economies. Besides, there are technological solutions for pollution. And urban planning solutions for traffic congestion.

Comment

Rather than truck bans, I think it's more important to widen roads and designate different lanes for bikes, motorcycles and trucks. In highly urbanized cities, it's impossible to limit the movements of trucks. Trucks should avoid delivering goods during the wee hours just to compromise with the ban as many accidents occur at night. Having a road for trucks and large vehicles is far more important.

Comment

I agree with xtinx. Businesses should be allowed to operate as freely as they can and they should not suffer for the government's incompetence and inability to create better roads and systems. The fact that regular people have to sacrifice one day or two of use of cars they bought at full price is already a huge red flag for me that the government relies on the public to sacrifice and solve problems that they are inept to address.

Comment

The truck ban during the daytime hours will ease congestion but will not reduce pollution because at whatever time they operate, they will be emitting the similar type of substance. I guess that the authorities will most likely designate the nighttime hours for the trucks to operate in lieu of the daytime hours. however, this move might be creating an opportunity for brigands because during the night it may be much easier for them to hijack the trucks which are transporting goods.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't reduce pollution. What it does is that it lets the harmful gases be released during the night time when the trees don't take in carbon dioxide. Instead, they release it, and this actually increase the problem of pollution instead of decreasing it.

Comment

Pollution and a businesses carbon footprint is a hot topic at the moment, and especially here in the UK. Imposing certain restrictions on a business can often work out worse though because the more rules and regulations that are put in place, the more likely it is that a business is going to have to try and find a way round them if they want to carry on making a profit because if they did comply with every rule, they might as well shut the place down.

While the environmental impact is obviously important, at the same time a business still has to be able to make money, and so there is a fine balance that I think governments and businesses have to try and reach, and while that may mean that pollution still exists, so does the actual industry itself. It's a hard question to answer but hat's more important? the pollution effect or a whole sector of industry having to close?

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                              Rather than truck bans, I think it's more important to widen roads and designate different lanes for bikes, motorcycles and trucks. In highly urbanized cities, it's impossible to limit the movements of trucks. Trucks should avoid delivering goods during the wee hours just to compromise with the ban as many accidents occur at night. Having a road for trucks and large vehicles is far more important.
                              My husband's advocacy is to create a motorbike lane in every main road of the cities. That would prevent accidents involving 2 wheels because bikers are usually out of line when it comes to road regulations. Just to let you know, aside from the truck ban, the main roads here have a specific lane for trucks. So when the truck ban is not in effect, the trucks would be lining up in that particular lane reserved for them. That truck lane further slows down the trucks as if adding insult to injury. As with the widening of the road, it is a big expense because land is not cheap particularly in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                                I am not in favour of been underpaid for the goods in an event that circumstances beyond my control would have caused the goods to be late. What if it was a storm or some other mishap of a similar category which had caused the delay. I could be open to the granting of a discount but would not be in agreement with being arbitrarily underpaid. If the there is a problem with the lateness of the goods, then there is the option of the customer not accepting the goods. Sometimes they are just being dishonest in using the unavoidable mishap to seek to exploit a situation where they would be able to avoid paying the real price for the goods.
                                Exactly! and this is true

Comment

Working...
                                X