Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality department: Do they have to be the enemy of everybody?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality department: Do they have to be the enemy of everybody?

In most companies I've worked in, relations with the quality department and quality people were almost always very tense. This is often understandable from the top management viewpoint who set things this way in order to check that they're not being cheated. It makes quality people more or less the equivalent of factory police.

However in another big company known for its cutting-edge supply chain strategies and implementation of lean manufacturing, six sigma etc (GE), relation were not nearly as tense. Sure quality could still block the day's production and make everybody not so-happy but the rapports were a lot more reasoned and heads were cooler.

• tallulah
    replied
    Re: Quality department: Do they have to be the enemy of everybody?

Quality assurance is the core unit of any organization. This department is responsible for the quality of anything produced by that organisation and ultimately the reputation of that organization. They test all the products and are able to pick up any small defect or malfunction before a product is mass produced. Their job and department is so important that if not done properly, it can cost the company billions if any product on the market is recalled due to a quality failure or if the company is sued due to false representation or misleading the public.

Think about the various cars or devices like expensive high end cell phones that has been recalled recently due to one reason or another. Somehow these faults seemed to have missed by the quality assurance team. If their job is not well done or if its not up to the highest quality, the company always suffers a big hit. This is why they seem to be at loggerheads with other departments. There is a lot of pressure on them.

Leave a comment:

• tpicks
    replied

Originally posted by to7update View Post
    In my company the quality department is not our enemy, quite the opposite, as they are responsible for gathering information and assuring high levels of quality. To be honest, I think their job is somewhat abstract and serves "only" to give management the information they need to make their actions.
    Same in my company, the quality control staff are not out to 'hunt' workers but to make sure work is properly done. However sometimes they could be very strict especially when it's glaring a job was wrongly finished. They are in the position to make recommendations to management about performance of the workers.

Leave a comment:

• to7update
    replied

In my company the quality department is not our enemy, quite the opposite, as they are responsible for gathering information and assuring high levels of quality. To be honest, I think their job is somewhat abstract and serves "only" to give management the information they need to make their actions.

Leave a comment:

• pwarbi
    replied

While I can see why people may think that they are the enemy to everyone else in the company, at the end of the day without them doing their job to the best of their ability then you may not have a business in the first place. I'm sure that we all would like a job where we can keep everyone happy and not ruffle a few feathers but sometimes, and especially in a position of quality control, it's more important for the job to be done right than what it is to keep people happy.

There's no point in having happy staff, if you don't have any work for them to do because the quality of what you are making and selling isn't up to scratch, and that is exactly what the quality control team is there to do...no matter what!

Leave a comment:

• tpicks
    replied

The importance of quality in the making of items cannot be over emphasized. The quality control department know this and that's why they are very concern, they know the recall and bad reputation their products would suffer if it cannot compete with others in the market in terms of quality. Those in the production line should be made to understand this perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Alexandoy
    replied

I am intrigued by the title. It sounds unaffectionate to those people who are giving us the assurance of quality. Anyway, I have a short experience with the quality control guys of a factory. They seem friendly enough although I had heard that there are some in that department who are snobbish or the bully type. Their function is to check the products to maintain the standards of quality and I saw that they were only doing their job. The reporting system was good not to be antagonistic and they follow a certain chart for the grading. I admit that there are also some misunderstanding at times but it can be settled amicably if the parties have a proper orientation on the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied

Quality and production shouldn't be the enemy, they should be working towards the same aim. For example if production cannot production because of a broken machine, Quality and Testing should be standing there with them in the office talking to management and stating that they will not pass anything until it is repaired, not just pushing things back to production and saying "your problem".

In the more modern production methods, like Agile, testing and QA are part of the system working with development and production to get the products out and the best they can be. When departments have tension, that's when problems really start because then it becomes which department wins, instead of whether the company does.

Leave a comment:

• xTinx
    replied

The tensions and the friction between quality and production don't really have anything to do with the nature of their respective departments. It's the set of standards that must be upheld that causes misunderstanding.

Leave a comment:

• CarlosTL
    replied

It is not the control per se that people hate, it is the perceived injustice and also the perceived arrogance of the quality guys. That is what makes relations tense. In my experience, I've seen a case of a quality guy assigned to monitor a production line, the earliest he came to the job was 10:30 and on average 11:00 to 12:00, the way he justified this is that he had to wait for the first batches to be produced so he can control them so he had no reason to come at 8:00 like everybody else. Justifiable but doesn't bode well for team spirit. Another guy was in charge of control between production lines, and he spent most of his day on Facebook, not even hiding it relaxed and stretched on his chair like a sloth. That was also because he had to wait something like a whole day before he had his batch to control. The quality bosses who were in offices and not in the production workshop could just block your whole day production at a whim, with no real justification. The whole batch can be dumped if they block it for too long.

I personally faced an issue with one quality lady, who out of no where, objected to the upgrade of my privileges in a traceability software, even I was entitled to it and production could go without me being assigned these privileges. Why? Because she wanted to "review me" (I ended up having an annoying and entirely futile 20 min interview in her office). This was the official reason, the true reason that all insiders knew, is that she had nothing else to do and found an opportunity to fill time of her day. Yes, because quality people generally have an empty schedule and spend their days doing nothing.

Leave a comment:

• gracer
    replied

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
    Maybe it's because the production personnel is viewing the quality control people as a type of internal police so the efforts of the quality controllers are greeted with apprehension. There is a great deal of responsibility that is resting on the shoulders of the quality controllers. The task of ensuring that the products are able to maintain the highest standards to ensure that it will be able to satisfy the customers and compete with the competitor's products is not an easy undertaking. The diligence that may have to be exercised by the quality personnel may make it seems that they are on the edge most of the times. They will not be able to relax until they are totally satisfied that the product has achieved the required standards. The job that they do is important for ensuring that the workers will have continuous employment and the business remains viable because of the goodwill that is developed when good quality products are able to reach the market. I believe that the other sectors of the production should try to understand the importance of the quality controller's involvement and try to work with them in the best way possible to achieve the ultimate results.
    Very well said. I think that this is what workers in the production department need to understand so they won't have to view the quality assurance department as their enemy. Both of these areas are important in running the business and if one of them fails to do the work properly, the other one will surely get affected. The two departments need to work as one and maintain a symbiotic relationship in order to produce high quality products.

Leave a comment:

• Norm
    replied

I think it is up to the bosses to make sure employees understand that quality checkers aren't their enemy as if bad quality goods were put out then the company would suffer and everyone loses their jobs. These days when everything is outsourced I believe that quality departments are a big part of what separates the expensive products from the cheap products especially considering they both come from the same place nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• David_TR
    replied

Quality assurance often has to be the "tough guy" because they're under a lot of pressure. Depending on what you manufacture, a lack of quality control can cause a huge product recall and failure (at best) and could lead to massive safety issues and potential lawsuits - look at poor Takata with their unending airbag problems. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I think QA being tough on workers and processes is really one of those things that's better in the long-term.

Leave a comment:

• explorerx7
    replied

Maybe it's because the production personnel is viewing the quality control people as a type of internal police so the efforts of the quality controllers are greeted with apprehension. There is a great deal of responsibility that is resting on the shoulders of the quality controllers. The task of ensuring that the products are able to maintain the highest standards to ensure that it will be able to satisfy the customers and compete with the competitor's products is not an easy undertaking. The diligence that may have to be exercised by the quality personnel may make it seems that they are on the edge most of the times. They will not be able to relax until they are totally satisfied that the product has achieved the required standards. The job that they do is important for ensuring that the workers will have continuous employment and the business remains viable because of the goodwill that is developed when good quality products are able to reach the market. I believe that the other sectors of the production should try to understand the importance of the quality controller's involvement and try to work with them in the best way possible to achieve the ultimate results.

Leave a comment:

• gracer
    replied

At first impression, the quality department could indeed seem like the enemy of workers but as you said, it shouldn't have to be this way. While the people under the quality department have the responsibility to ensure that all products are satisfactorily acceptable by customers, the working atmosphere between them and the workers need not be too stiff. A super strict way of implementing rules and standards could lead more to mistakes because of the atmosphere of fear among workers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X