Drawing chart does help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing chart does help?

My question may seem pretty obvious, but perhaps it is not that much. Charts often shows how organizations runs, what's the hierarchy, how it goes from top to bottom, and that kind of things. But doing and drawing these charts takes time, and may denote something else. Let me explain.

Somehow, I wonder if we need to chart an organization, doesn't mean it is too much complicated, while the best design would be rather a design that works pretty well but are simple so an human can think and rethink about it in a second, instead of looking up each step in a chart? Or maybe drawing charts are a waste of time? Who should draw these charts, after all? And who should know exactly how it runs?

Re: Drawing chart does help?

I think charts are very helpful but may not be a requirement for a business to run smoothly, especially once the business has already been running long enough that everyone involved has already settled into a routine. At the planning stages and initial execution stages I think having a chart to remind you where you are and where you're headed can be very useful as it prevents the direction of the company from going haywire.

Comment

I could agree with you on the argument about it is no longer needed after the routine is installed, but we should not forget the newcomers, the new employees. The faster they can understand the organization of the company and how it runs, the sooner it can work better and not get stuck in this "I'm still learning how it is working there" mode. This should not distract old but neither new employees. That's also for them that this chart is useful.

As well, after, it becomes a way of designing things, where you put them in a chart in order to answer your problem and how complicated is your chart at the end.

Comment

I sometimes use charts and diagrams when the agenda is about operations. A chart is a good visual aids particularly in demonstrating the flow of goods from origin to destination. With that, I can clearly show the duration of each step and the potential problems that may arise. It would now be easier to plug the loopholes and provide contingent actions for those potential problems if cannot be avoided. But that chart is not on the easel sheet anymore, it is the computer presentation that we use nowadays.

Comment

Yesterday our boss and other officers of our department finalized the Table of Organization (formerly called Organizational Chart). It clearly shows the hierarchy not only in the official position of the employee but also the designation regarding the work. The chart is very clear with the idea of what I had mentioned that at a glance you will already get the gist of the organization vis--vis positions and functions. It is not easy to do that chart especially when the department has more than 200 employees but it is worth the effort. Besides, it is required by the HR for each department to have their Table of Organization.

Comment

In the olden days the organizational chart was called Plantilla that shows the hierarchy and the inherent function of the position. Especially for a big organization, it is important for the workers to know their place in the organization to avoid usurpation of authority. That usurpation usually happens when the officer is passive and his assistant is dynamic. There is also the issue of conflicting commands from 2 officers which can be clarified by just looking at the organizational chart.

Comment

Working...
            X