Inflating Figures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflating Figures

It has been a norm especially in government offices where money gets embezzled during the procurement processes. At one time, a scheme was unearthed where the figures had been inflated at an alarming rate. The cost of one pen was $40. Does this problem occur in your country or company?

Re: Inflating Figures

It certainly occurs in my country. It had better not occur in my company: that's what the double audit, finance department and cost tracking software are for! If it did, someone would be fired. It is somewhat disturbing that companies seem to have better auditing than the civil service at times.

Comment

Happening in Romania since the fall of communism. You'd be amazed to hear how much paper "costs" here.

Comment

This is the case of a bad government which everyone is complaining about and it seems it is prevalent in most African countries where government officials try as much as they can to inflate prices of raw materials used in executing some contracts so as to have abnormal profits at the end of each project completion. The worse case scenario is that even at the inflated prices of items in these contracts, some of those contracts end up not being completed which makes a bad development for the progress of the nation.

If there would be transparency in awarding contracts to the qualified firms/individuals as well as ensuring that the cost of executing those contracts are not on a high, then I think that we are on our way to having a better development in many countries of the world.

Comment

Transparency is a must, unless you happen to have the most moral and ethical and kind-hearted leaders ever imagined, and we all know that power corrupts too easily for that to ever happen. Inflated figures can have those drastic effects that trickle thoughout all sorts of other industries too, so it is extra dangerous.

Comment

With the issue of inflated prices, itís sad to say that it is also happening here in our country particularly in purchases by government offices. We had the experience of being invited to submit price quotations for computer supplies when we had our retailing business years ago. When we submitted our price quotations, the in-charge of purchasing talked to our sales person to change the prices by increasing each price with a multiplier of 2.5. We were shocked by that because an item costing 100 would be priced at 350. It was really outrageous and my religion forbids that kind of dealing so we didnít pursue.

Comment

Originally posted by Gad View Post
              It has been a norm especially in government offices where money gets embezzled during the procurement processes. At one time, a scheme was unearthed where the figures had been inflated at an alarming rate. The cost of one pen was $40. Does this problem occur in your country or company?
              This is something that is very peculiar in most government agencies, organizations and ministries where most people working in such offices seeks to milk the government of any penny they can afford to since they are not the ones bearing the burnt of all the inflated expenses.

​​​​​​Here, a friend of mine working in ministry of education told me that the inflated price for dirt disposal nylon bag was $120. How horrible can it get further from this?

Comment

Working...
              X