Do You Travel To Get Your Supplies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Travel To Get Your Supplies?

Most businesses I know have their supplies delivered to them on a scheduled basis. I have however seen some business owners who travel several times a month whether locally or abroad to purchase their supplies. Do you also travel and get supplies yourself or do you have a delivery agreement with your suppliers?

Re: Do You Travel To Get Your Supplies?

Our warehouse is mostly for used electronic equipment, it is more of a depository although it also serves as conduit when there are a lot of orders for new electronic items which we do the delivery to the users. It is the other way around though, instead of traveling to look for supplies, my staff in the unit would travel to personally deliver the new electronic items particularly computer. The purpose of the travel is the required orientation of the users of the new computers. In the olden days when I was still supervisor, I would be going the rounds of the provinces that would take about 2 months for that delivery and orientation hands-on seminar.

Comment

Sometimes our boss travels to companies to get hardware for our offices and I imagine the only reason he's travelling is to speak business with that company's CEO face to face, otherwise I don't see the reason of going there all by yourself. Sometimes bosses want to discuss things in person rather than on the phone like contract deals for example that can easily be falsified.

Comment

I remember one of our suppliers who also owns a physical business establishment herself with the same field of business that we are in. Her business is located in another town though so we are not competing with each other when it comes to customers. She supplies and sells in her own business at the same time and she has to travel at least once a week to get the products she supplies to her customers both in businesses and regular ones. She has been doing it for years and although its entails a lot of work, she seems to have succeeded at it.

Comment

Rarely. I have almost everything delivered. It is a more effective use of my time.

Comment

If you're the one who does the travelling after ordering an item, you will be at a disadvantage. You already spent for the item, so there's no need for you to spend for your transportation as well. If the item is located elsewhere, then your best recourse would be to wait until couriers arrive on your doorstep.

Comment

Yes, I travel for supplies on certain ocassions. There are instances where my customer require goods that they have ordered from me in rapid time, therefore, I have to ensure that the items are availablein time so that my customer experiences no undue delay which may prompt them to consider obtaining the goods elsewhere so I would go get the items and not wait on the delivery process if there seems to be any possible delay in the arrival.

Comment

I also remember a friend of mine who travels every week to get her supplies in our capital city. She owns a small school supplies store and she prefers to be the one to shop for her own supplies in the big wholesale stores from the big city. There are suppliers who do approache her but she would always turn them down because they also do pretty much the same thing she does. They also get their supplies from where she buys her goods so she's able to save more by traveling to get her supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                  If you're the one who does the travelling after ordering an item, you will be at a disadvantage. You already spent for the item, so there's no need for you to spend for your transportation as well. If the item is located elsewhere, then your best recourse would be to wait until couriers arrive on your doorstep.
                  I know of some convenience stores in the suburbs who order from the nearby city for their supplies. But instead of hiring a vehicle for transport which would affect their markup on the sale price of the goods, they hire a pedicab - a bike with a sidecar that can carry cargo. That pedicab is the cheapest transportation that you can get and they are allowed in the provincial highway. The only downside is when it rains because the goods tend to get wet despite covering it with tarpaulin. The cost of using a small truck or van for the delivery of the orders is around $20 and the pedicab costs less than $5 so it is understandably cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by gracer View Post
                    Most businesses I know have their supplies delivered to them on a scheduled basis. I have however seen some business owners who travel several times a month whether locally or abroad to purchase their supplies. Do you also travel and get supplies yourself or do you have a delivery agreement with your suppliers?
                    I personally don't. I get them delivered to my office through courier or local delivery guys. The thing is, if I travel for them it would not be worth because of the time which it would be taking. Therefore, I always prefer to get them delivered to my office.

Since, I have been opting for same vendors month on month, they know the requirements and directly they get it delivered to my office without any issues.

Comment

My former employer traveled overseas often to buy supplies. Since he got supplies from the same companies all the time, it would have easier for him to order via telephone but he just couldn't do that because over the phone it was harder to get the discounts he wanted but if he was out there demanding for a discount then he most often got them so the money he spent was well used.

That said, if one can have supplies delivered to them at the same price they'd get if they traveled somewhere then they should choose the option that doesn't involve any traveling.

Comment

I have some associates who have a business of buying goods in the province and bringing them to the city. One of them is an abaca trader. He rents a truck to purchase abaca products like ropes, clothing materials and some other products like living room displays made of abaca and coconut.

The trip to the province is about 10 hours. But the mark up on the items makes it worth the long trip. They bring the goods to big boutiques mostly in malls.

Comment

Working...
                        X