Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is outsourcing riskier?

Originally posted by Norm View Post
    Not only that but you also run the risk of getting your idea basically stolen and mass produced and sold for much cheaper, essentially making you the creator of your own competition. I've heard of stories like this where American businesses started outsourcing their production to China and a few months later they are seeing copies of their products under a different brand being sold online for much less.
    This may be a segue but I can relate to that idea being stolen. When the supervisor of our computer supplies retailing business resigned, we have no idea that she would go to the competitor and snatch our major clients. Aside from that, they also used our method of prospecting that my husband had invented. That is a neat lesson to us.

But in outsourcing, maybe the outsourced company or employees wouldn't do the unethical of copying systems and methods much more the products because that's a crime as per the copyright law as protected by the WIPO (world intellectual property office).

Comment

Originally posted by hades_leae
      I believe it is, especially if you have to deal with a lot of transportation. You risk so much when you don't limit transportation. For example, if you have a business that sells fruits, people can't get their fruits if there is always some delay in transportation. Why not have something like that ship locally.

I guess it all comes down to what type of service your offering, like an internet connection isn't really a big deal as far as transport. All that takes is connections and data never really has problems meeting transport times. Produce is different, just like shopping online for clothes and shoes, or accessories, etc.
      Out sourcing internet services and or IT services presents just as much risk as anything else. You clearly don't know what you are talking about, especially in regards to technology.

Comment

While there are some risks that come with outsourcing there are ways you can minimize those risks. When outsourcing anything you need to find a company or someone who has a good track record delivering what they promise. Literally. If you have doubts then do find out how your competitors outsource supply chain management or anything else. That should help because you can find useful information you can use like identifying individuals you could hire in future.

Comment

Everything comes with a certain amount of risk, but for me if you are able to do everything in-house then you're risk won't be as great. If you can complete every part of a business yourself rather than having to rely on another company, then your risk is bound to decrease as a result. Not only will you be able to regulate and check the process on a regular basis, you will also be able to cut down on the costs as well. Employing another company to complete a step in a manufacturing process that you can't complete yourself can often throw up difficulties, and no matter what sector of business your talking about, the less difficulties you have, is always for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampa View Post
            While there are some risks that come with outsourcing there are ways you can minimize those risks. When outsourcing anything you need to find a company or someone who has a good track record delivering what they promise. Literally. If you have doubts then do find out how your competitors outsource supply chain management or anything else. That should help because you can find useful information you can use like identifying individuals you could hire in future.
            Very good point and suggestion. I've always wondered how some companies end up with horror stories while someone don't when it comes to outsourcing and I guess this is the best answer because as with everything some will tend to have good track records and some won't and considering that you will probably be saving a lot when you outsource then it's best to just go with the best one among those options since going with the cheap and shady ones might just end up costing you more in the long run anyway.

Comment

Which explains why in most freelancer sites, clients have to rate or provide feedback on the freelancers they've hired. The ratings actually help future clients make informed hiring decisions. They wouldn't want freelancers who do not deliver as instructed. It's a little riskier if you deal with outsourcing companies since the hiring process is beyond your control and you just have to trust in the outsourcing firm's judgment.

Comment

Often the firms you can outsource to either base their hiring practices on client expectations or just have tougher requirements to begin with. Seek out one of these types of firms if hiring practices concern you, there are plenty to choose from in almost any industry.

Comment

Working...
                X