No announcement yet.

What are your biggest IT frustrations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your biggest IT frustrations?

I come from the software industry as opposed to the logistics industry. I'm doing some research to see how I could be helpful in the logistics industry.

What are some of your biggest IT-related frustrations?

Re: What are your biggest IT frustrations?

Crashing software and unreliability in general are my biggest gripes with softwares as a consumer. I've worked in an IT company as a graphic designer as well and with regards to the back end, my only note is that being the two don't always mesh as well all the time, since it takes a fair amount of communication and compromise for both the interface designer and the coder to get to the most efficient solutions especially when the client is very involved in the small decisions.

Comment

I was hired as a methods analyst in the bank and our section is bunched with the programming section so it is not a wonder that I aspired to be a programmer. After passing the aptitude exam in IBM, I took up COBOL programming and had some practice in our office. Unfortunately, our bank had to close shop so I moved to another bank where I was assigned in IT operations and not in development. I had never been a computer programmer and how I wish I had that position.

Comment

I think that the vast majority of issues that people have with IT departments are cases of PEBKAC. People blame the IT department for an assortment of things that are out of their purview. It is ridiculous. People need some education and an attitude adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by nytegeek View Post
          I think that the vast majority of issues that people have with IT departments are cases of PEBKAC. People blame the IT department for an assortment of things that are out of their purview. It is ridiculous. People need some education and an attitude adjustment.
          I've worked in IT and our company was hired by one of our government organizations in the past and it took a long time to finish mostly because of the lack of decisiveness by the higher ups but ultimately in the eyes of the public it was made to look like the delays were caused by us. I think our boss put up with it mostly because it was a good client to have despite the problems and the money was probably good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
            I've worked in IT and our company was hired by one of our government organizations in the past and it took a long time to finish mostly because of the lack of decisiveness by the higher ups but ultimately in the eyes of the public it was made to look like the delays were caused by us. I think our boss put up with it mostly because it was a good client to have despite the problems and the money was probably good too.

Yeah this happens a lot. The IT department will need something that depends on decisions from people that don't really understand what they are managing and end up looking bad to everyone else even though their hands are tied until the right decision is made.

Comment

Yeah this happens a lot. The IT department will need something that depends on decisions from people that don't really understand what they are managing and end up looking bad to everyone else even though their hands are tied until the right decision is made.
              I agree, and it think that was a particularly a more conducive environment for this to happen because it was such a big task and the company in this case that was having it carried out was equally huge as well. You're right in that no matter how big the company it mostly still just stems from how well the client understands what it really is that they need though.

Comment

My first employment with IT was in another bank, a smaller one where the boss doesn't know computers. I wonder how he became the manager of the department. The programmers were running circles around him when he asks about a project because everyone knows that he doesn't know anything about computers although he has an idea of the system and the methods which he used to handle. My work there was actually as a methods analyst. But now that can never happen - the IT boss with no computer knowledge.

Comment

I work in Software Development and people complain about a lot of things. They think that you can build every abstract feature they want simply because "technology is advanced enough to build anything", which is pretty irritating. Let's not forget about the million features they want implemented after the work is already done, without paying extra. I hope I'm not too off-topic, this comment comes from someone working in the IT Department.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzyon View Post
                    I work in Software Development and people complain about a lot of things. They think that you can build every abstract feature they want simply because "technology is advanced enough to build anything", which is pretty irritating. Let's not forget about the million features they want implemented after the work is already done, without paying extra. I hope I'm not too off-topic, this comment comes from someone working in the IT Department.
                    You remind me of the days when the CAD emerged. Most of the draftsmen whom I know from way back in college days want to use CAD. But their problem is the computer they were using has a small memory that couldn't properly run the program. CAD - computer aided design for architecture - is a huge software because during that time there was not much graphics yet so the programming is very intricate and complex that results in a big memory requirement. So I guess most of the draftsmen at the time were frustrated with the CAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzyon View Post
                      YES! This is so true. I hate that. Sometimes people ask for the most obtuse things, and because they don't understand how the software or technology works to begin with they get an attitude when it can't be done.

Comment

YES! This is so true. I hate that. Sometimes people ask for the most obtuse things, and because they don't understand how the software or technology works to begin with they get an attitude when it can't be done.
                        In my experience it's usually the subpar leaders that carry this sort of attitude. Bosses and clients I've encountered who are effective at their job often know how to respect and inquire before resorting to just pointing and giving orders. I think this is evident even with non IT related matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                          In my experience it's usually the subpar leaders that carry this sort of attitude. Bosses and clients I've encountered who are effective at their job often know how to respect and inquire before resorting to just pointing and giving orders. I think this is evident even with non IT related matters.
                          I have run into managers that are plenty competent in their own area of expertise that have no patience for IT matters and expect the impossible on a daily basis from the IT department. It is very frustrating.

Comment

I have run into managers that are plenty competent in their own area of expertise that have no patience for IT matters and expect the impossible on a daily basis from the IT department. It is very frustrating.
                            I've gotten clients and bosses like this too and in my opinion people with attitude like that may be good enough to keep their positions but usually not good enough to move up and be the supreme leader, that is if they are not extremely lucky of course. People who can't consider others' positions and limitations don't make for good leaders, I think.

Comment

The comment about software reminds me of the olden days in the first bank I worked for. The staff in other departments were resistant to technology so they were looking for ways to criticize the computer. They even had posted a big sign - IBM and underneath are the words It's Better Manual. It's a true story though and I thought the computer wouldn't take off that well (that was in 1982). But now those resistant are all gone, I guess, and most people are now using the technology that the phone can offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X