Bonding hour in the workplace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonding hour in the workplace

In the business district of Metro Manila, some big companies were having the so called bonding hour during lunch break. Employees would bring their lunch and eat while playing board games. It is fun to seem the boss and subordinates playing and enjoying the time. Sometimes they buy food to be shared by everyone. It's like an informal party and obviously everyone was enjoying. It's just an hour once a week. I'd say it's a good activity to cultivate the relationship of the employees with each other.

Re: Bonding hour in the workplace

I think it depends on the crew you're dealing with and the job they have to do. In many warehouses, the atmosphere is simply too busy. The job they have to do is physical in nature, making long breaks to play a game undesirable from a health stand point. Muscles get stiff during after-work resting and heart rates go down. In my own stints as a laborer in loading bays when I was younger, I found the best type of team building events were those held after-hours. Our company would sponsor the occasional in-warehouse cookout where we'd be served hamburgers and hotdogs in a picnick-like atmosphere. It was a great way to fuel our bodies after a hard workout while building comradery with each other in a more social setting which didn't interfere with our performance once our day's labor was done.

Comment

In my office, employees of different level have lunch together. Project managers, engineers and others have lunch together. We forget about the projects and have a good time joking with others, discussing the latest news, discussing sports etc. Everyone forget their post and have a great time. All the stress and tiredness vanishes away. We have bonding time everyday for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Comment

I think this is a great idea to get along with everyone in the office easily and know about everyone as well. This sounds like a de-stressing activity too. We don't have any kind of activities like this in my office and my boss is a strict and short temper guy. He doesn't like his employees to be enjoying like this but sometimes he will be friendly. I think every office should follow this to help people to beat the work stress.

Comment

True, this always happened most of the time when I was still working in the Philippines. I was always part of this "Team Bonding" lunch out. I don't know actually why this happens all the time but I am happy about it. Free lunch, why should I complain.

Comment

Back when Mr. Sam, my former boss was around, am a junior staff then, we normally do this kind of party on Wednesdays and Fridays. Everybody getting to know each other more, keeping aside who they are or the posts they held. We do laugh and made jokes at each other.

This kind of practice is what makes a better working relationship among the workers and moves the company forward.

Comment

Even though i have never worked or had any relation with a company or a business that had this sort of thing, but i have heard of it before, i think it definitely has a lot of advantages in terms of team moral.

Comment

It has become a common practice of corporate sector that helps bring workers closer to each other of different cadre. I feel very much a part of my team of marketing professionals of all levels sitting together during lunch time and cracking jokes (some of them personal) and everyone smiling. It also helps to know about different foods from different cultures and if one wish to taste it or know the recipe.

Comment

Yes my company seems to have that too. During friday we get to share the table with the other people in higher hierarchy. So it's possible for us to know how stuff works with them. And also their personal side. It can be good to know each other this way. I can tell you that bonding has it's share of the issues too. But it can be pulled off pretty nicely if the person knows how to handle people. And that does build the company culture.

Comment

Working...
                  X