Team building is not an activity for building a team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team building is not an activity for building a team

One HR manager that I had talked to made this pronouncement that team building is just a waste. Make an observation of team building acitvities and you will find that it is just adultís play. Maybe what she means is that team building is a misnomer because I agree with her. In one mountain resort where a team building activity was ongoing, I had noted that they were just playing parlor games in the outdoor. Just that and lots of laughing. In fairness to the activity, what they are building is the connection of the employees for a better interpersonal relationship at work. Maybe they have to change its name to Bridge Building.

Re: Team building is not an activity for building a team

I agree. That a lot of times it's just about fun and making the people adjust with each other. So though it should work. It does take time on many ways. I have seen that team building has it's set of the limits too. Because some companies don't require much team work as the work is divided very properly. And for this reason I think building team from scratch would be lot harder. I don't think many people pay attention to this part. But HR people know which team may last long and which one will not go much further.

Comment

I don't like socializing that much because I am too shy to express myself much more so having to participate in a team building activities. But I think once I get a hang of it, definitely my whole perspective will change and will be able to conquer my self limitation. So for me I think whether it is for building a team or not or just having fun and forgetting your insecurities towards others, team building will be a key part in every company that employs a social harmony between its employee.

Comment

Well, I thought the team building here was in reference to making a team for a particular project but I think you had something else like getting to know your coworkers. In my views a team works like a well oiled machine only when they have a perfect coordination, right kind of understanding and equal level playing field. Having said that I have a firm belief that you cannot make a better team unless everyone is willing to help each other by sharing ideas whole heartedly and working responsibly. A loose link may result in breaking the whole chain. And yes, you must welcome all the suggestions coming from all the team members seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post
          One HR manager that I had talked to made this pronouncement that team building is just a waste. Make an observation of team building acitvities and you will find that it is just adultís play. Maybe what she means is that team building is a misnomer because I agree with her. In one mountain resort where a team building activity was ongoing, I had noted that they were just playing parlor games in the outdoor. Just that and lots of laughing. In fairness to the activity, what they are building is the connection of the employees for a better interpersonal relationship at work. Maybe they have to change its name to Bridge Building.
          That HR Manager has no business being HR manager if he/she can't help make team building a beneficial activity for the company. Our HRD is on top of the team building activity and they'd even hire team building facilitators. The company also holds the activity in leisure parks or venues specifically designed for team building games and activities. In short, the company invests on the activity and expect to get a return.

There may be games, but they're just part of the team building package. The games are not like statue dance or trip to Jerusalem type. They are designed to demonstrate attitudes, behavior, problems, and other issues within the company. To bystanders, they may seem like parlor games. To participants, the games help refresh the team spirit and renew their loyalty to the company's mission and vision. The games are processed and reviewed and employees are given a chance to speak and express their views or analysis of the games or the results.

Comment

I do not agree, the team building does not create a team but helps strengthen the links between each group member

Comment

Working...
            X