Breaking into Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking into Management

Management is in big demand in the US. However, though, when I tried to get a management job in the 90s it was a tough sell. Note, the main objection was due to lack of experience. Anyway, how can you get around that obstacle and other ones for that matter? Well, I'm thinking one way might be via some college degree specifically in management and another way might be an MBA or BA.

Re: Breaking into Management

I think education is the surest way to land a good job. Having a degree or a masteral education is a good stepping stone although it's not a guarantee to be in a managerial position. Another way to be a manager is to get hired as an understudy to learn the ropes in a year or two. Before I was promoted to the position of operations manager in a software house, I was handling an all-around job as a pinch-hitter for an absent colleague. My efforts were recognized by the boss hence my promotion.

Comment

I completed a bachelor's degree and passed the qualifying exams for my profession. I basically started at the bottom of the ladder working as a Junior Auditor in a medium sized auditing firm in my country. That exposed me to several small, medium and large companies with varying operations and systems. On my next job, I was hired as a supervisor and stayed on the job for three years. I also taught part time at a nearby college. I used this background to apply for a management post on my next job with a small company. I stayed there for a couple years before moving on to a bigger company with higher pay. I know for a fact, though, that some companies and industries are willing to hire a person with less work experience or even a new grad for a management position if the person has outstanding credentials and connections. For example, a person may have topped the board, graduated from a top ranking school, earned an MBA or PHD afterwards on the same school or a bigger school and/or has family with connections to big businesses.

There's another route though. Nowadays, some industries use the word manager loosely. For instance, in our company, a newly hired sales employee is called an account manager, he can be a junior or senior account manager depending on the experience. Same thing is true with other companies that are engaged in direct selling. If you can recruit downlines or upgrade your membership, you can be a manager. You may not be a manager in the truest sense of the word but you can use the title and the experience to land a real management job in the future.

Comment

I have studied these things a lot and then when you actually get into the practice, I think that it takes a certain, and different, skill set to put everything into action and be able to see results. Some have it and some do not.

Comment

Working...
        X