Antecedent verification.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antecedent verification.

In the present day world a proper and effective antecedent verification is a must for hiring talented people. With the help of computer anybody can prepare experience, qualification or salary certificate. But companies usually do antecedent verification to recheck the facts submitted the proposed employee.

I have seen that some companies do this through outside agencies. In our company it is the sole responsibility of HR to contact the previous employer and check the details. They also ensure an email confirmation on this for records.

Who does the antecedent verification in your company and how is the process?

Re: Antecedent verification.

This is an essential practice in disrupting new employees. However, I only do it for employees who are about to occupy positions of great importance. If they're employees for "trivial" functions I don't consider doing this "poll", simply because I don't think it's necessary (unless there is some later fact that makes me think about it... which, by the way, never happened).

In general, this is a very necessary practice in any company.

Comment

Most companies here, big or small, depend on the honesty of the applicant. But before calling for an interview of the prospective hiree, the HR personnel will be doing a counter check on his own. They usually call the company's HR to inquire on the conduct and performance of the applicant. But with the academic record, HR people don't bother to check on that.

Comment

In most companies I've been with, it's the HR that performs the background investigation by calling the applicant's previous employers and checking information from websites. The level of verification varies with the position but companies will usually not take the applicant's word for it and would perform standard checks at the very least. For instance, in my position, there would be a lot of acid test because I'm managing the company's funds. They would not bother that much, though, if they're hiring for positions that don't require that level of trust. Background investigation is one of the KRAs/KPIs of HR department so every hiring season, they have a checklist to prove that they have performed their job.

Only one of the companies I've worked with regularly hires the services of a third party to conduct the background investigation. That company is a maker of crayons and distributor of office supplies. The third party investigator does the legwork and would actually go to the residence of the applicant to ask around and to talk to someone in the applicant's household. They are paid on a per job/order basis. Since I also handle the HR/admin of the plant, I've seen some of their reports on recently hired supervisors and I was quite amazed with the way they were able to obtain information on the lifestyle or family background of the applicant. The applicants most probably didn't even have an idea that the background investigation could be that intensive.

Comment

Working...
        X