Age Limit for Job Positions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Limit for Job Positions

In my country, it's a sad reality that when a person reaches a certain age, job opportunities become even more scarce as some companies place age restrictions for most job positions. For instance, in my profession (accountancy), the maximum age limit for hiring people for a managerial position is usually set at 45 years old. For entry level accounting staff, the oldest we have on board is 27 years old. When hiring production workers, we likewise place a cap at 30 years old. Hence, there are many well-qualified and experienced employees who are unemployed.

What are your experiences in your company and country?

Re: Age Limit for Job Positions

I thinks this is extremely wrong. Obviously there should be a redeployment in the functions as the employees get older (include in those changes a decrease in their normal working hours), but... This doesn't mean they have become disposable professionals.

It's necessary to remember how much that professional who is about to be dismissed has in terms of knowledge and personal experience (that counts a lot when you take up a position of importance in any company). All that knowledge and life experience can only be acquired through time.

So... Discarding those professionals, besides being an immense lack of respect, it's also a lack of managerial vision.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jazmine;21834]In my country, it's a sad reality that when a person reaches a certain age, job opportunities become even more scarce as some companies place age restrictions for most job positions. For instance, in my profession (accountancy), the maximum age limit for hiring people for a managerial position is usually set at 45 years old. For entry level accounting staff, the oldest we have on board is 27 years old. When hiring production workers, we likewise place a cap at 30 years old. Hence, there are many well-qualified and experienced employees who are unemployed.
      What are your experiences in your company and country?[/QUOTE)

It's sad to say this happens everyday no matter what Country or State you reside in. This to me would fall under the Discrimination category. Discrimination is commonly practiced on the grounds of, disability, origin, age, ethnicity, religion, race, or political beliefs. (Example:Promoting a less qualified young man, instead of a more highly qualified older Female.

Comment

In my country there is age restriction to work especially at the public sector. The sad experience many young able men in their employable ages are not getting employed and time is running out, such that it'll get to a stage when they are no longer employable. Once you hit 45 you are deemed out of the labor market at the public sector. Well I normally advice people to always keep at least a small business venture before hitting that age.

Comment

In those extreme cases I would hope that common sense does prevail, but unfortunately the world we live in tends to forget common sense often times. I am curious as to how these vary across different areas though, and it probably tells you quite a bit about that area.

Comment

I was surprised when I worked in a warehouse in California. I was around 30 years old and hired as computer operator. My supervisor was a woman who was 60 years old. From my culture, a computer operator should have the strength to carry a box of printer paper (the continuous form) so that setup would not work in my country. But I would love it if there would be no age limit to a job although I admit that there are certain jobs that require an able body with strength for physical exertions like my actual example as a computer operator job.

Comment

If a person is physically and mentally able to do a job, then I don't see why an age should be a problem to be honest. While I accept that there does have to be a cut off point and sometimes even though an employee wants to stay and carry on, the employer needs to make the decision for the benefit of the company as well as the employee and let that person go.

These days people are able to work a lot longer than they used to, and I'm not sure that if a person want's to keep on working then anybody should be able to stop them. An older experienced employee can often be more valuable than the younger ones so if you are in a position where you have to choose, I would go off ability rather than age and you may be surprised as to who you are looking to keep and who you are letting go.

Comment

There is a big debate in my country about retirement age, that is increasing on a monthly basis, but this is not because our physical capacities, but due to financial reasons. Sure, some tasks are mainly physical and require that we are in good condition, from a certain age on we can only work at a desk or at least lighter works.

Comment

I know that some jobs may be energy demanding such that the old persons, say people in their seventies can't just summon that energy to do. Jobs like auto mechanic, brick laying or even outright farming maybe demand too much energy need for the old. That said, there jobs out there that only require brain work not physical energy exertion, I am still wondering why an old person that's capable of such jobs wouldn't be allowed because of age. Experience can't be bought and that's what most old people can easily bring to the work place.

Comment

I consider this practice of limiting a position considering the age of the possible employee a big mistake. Positions of great importance require knowledge (professional and personal, after all, people are people) and the accumulation of knowledge is more solidly evident over the years.

I'm not against young people occupying positions of great importance, but I think in general, for more academic formations these young people have, they also have against them the experience of life. A company doesn't survive and prospers only on employees, and their jobs... But rather, on the interaction among them all.

Comment

It's too bad that companies have job limits but these are rules and regulations set by a country. I think sometimes it depends with the population distribution in your country. For example, in my country youths are very many compared to older people. The retirement age is set in a way that more people will be accommodated. Every year people graduate and employment opportunities have to be created for them by eliminating the older people.

Comment

Many times it's not even an explicit limit, but an implicit one, meaning that for companies it's easier to hire people under 40 than above 40, and if we get unemployed when we have more than that age, it will be extremely hard to find a job, even if we are peaking or skills and work capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shine_Spirit View Post
                          I consider this practice of limiting a position considering the age of the possible employee a big mistake. Positions of great importance require knowledge (professional and personal, after all, people are people) and the accumulation of knowledge is more solidly evident over the years.

I'm not against young people occupying positions of great importance, but I think in general, for more academic formations these young people have, they also have against them the experience of life. A company doesn't survive and prospers only on employees, and their jobs... But rather, on the interaction among them all.

Me too, its a mistake.

Young people need entry level career building positions, whilst mature applicants need opportunities of promotion and development.

Mature people offer industry knowledge and general work life experience in tenure or exposure to various employment opportunities that may be of interest to a business, that is quite a valuable commodity to have in your business, that can be pulled in by senior management as skills based tools to utilze in the work place.

Lets not forget the level of maturity, insight and decision making when needed from someone who has lived through life's challenges.

However, I do believe in shouldering a young buck and grooming for more senior positions in the pipeline if they have shown talent, thats my opinion in a nutshell.
                          sigpic

Comment

there is lot of variations in age criteria from category to departments.

Comment

Originally posted by doler View Post
                              there is lot of variations in age criteria from category to departments.
                              Ah-uh, yes of course there is in specific criteria, I was commenting in general.

For example: if you want to be a Combat Pilot for the RMAF entry age is approx 18-27 years of age as it is the preferred age group. They receive young applicants because the human body is at its optimum performance to cope with sustained g-forces and learning capabilities, also health benefits like eyes and hearing etc.

But in business and/or logistics what I said above is the most accepted view if you look around and see who is in what positions running todays coporate world senior management positions.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X