Work life balance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work life balance.

This is a burning issue especially in big corporates. Employee find it hard to spend quality time with their families due to busy work schedules. Finally they end up becoming a stranger to their own kids at home.

We were having two days in a week as special days (known as family days) when employees and reporting managers were expected to leave at 5:30 pm. But it was a success only for a few weeks and then employees were not willing to leave on time as they were already loaded with heavy targets.

Earlier it was the responsibility of HOD to ensure all employees in his function leave office on time in these two days. But after some time they also continue to sit late at office. I am curious to know if there is any strategy we can implement here?

Re: Work life balance.

Is it a cultural thing for your office, because I've seen managers competing to be the last out because they want to be seen as the hardest working? If this is the case, then it needs to be shown that working these extra hours is not desireable, especially if they are slacking off during the day to give themselves something to do at night. Office culture can be hard to shift, but it involves rewarding the people who work hardest, not those who stay longest.

If your workers and mmanagers are having to do those hours to get the job done though, you're going to have to look at working practices and see whether you can streamline processes to make them more efficient, or find ways to spread the work so people are not so overloaded. Punishing people who are working flat out and still having to do overtime to meet targets, means there's something wrong with the target.

Comment

Well like anything you have to find that ideal balance, and it is probably a lot different for anyone. I know that mine really changes from week to week given my job, but when I have had more steady work it is been different too, so you never know. Very important, though.

Comment

Weekend is usually called Family Day here. Most workers have at least one day off per week to spend time with their family. However, I know that there are workaholics who do not avail of the weekend rest and they work their butt as long as their strength holds on. In my wife’s office, they are forced to take a 10-day vacation once a year. That 10 days is continuous for the reason of bonding with the family. Some other offices have activities that include the family like company outings to resorts and athletic activities like sports competition where the families can be spectators.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          Is it a cultural thing for your office, because I've seen managers competing to be the last out because they want to be seen as the hardest working? If this is the case, then it needs to be shown that working these extra hours is not desireable, especially if they are slacking off during the day to give themselves something to do at night. Office culture can be hard to shift, but it involves rewarding the people who work hardest, not those who stay longest.

If your workers and mmanagers are having to do those hours to get the job done though, you're going to have to look at working practices and see whether you can streamline processes to make them more efficient, or find ways to spread the work so people are not so overloaded. Punishing people who are working flat out and still having to do overtime to meet targets, means there's something wrong with the target.
          I feel Managers are no more pretending to be busy but they are already loaded with heavy targets. It is like sword of Damocles hangs over their head. They use to get beaten up by their HODs which they filter into lower levels. Due to stiff competition HODs are expected to do do in outstanding ways to maintain company's market share. Globalization is actually deteriorating the situation.

Comment

That is a tough reality, people work more and more these days, and have less and less time to their families. But this is not all. How many of us get home late, and still have to work when we get there. I've had issues with my wife because of this, and there comes a point where we need to draw a line between work and family, or else we just might lose our family.

Comment

There's no doubt I don't think that more and more peoples personal lives are suffering due to work commitments, and a lot of companies do need to take a look at what exactly it is they are asking their employees to do. Having said that though, not all the blame can be shouldered by the companies involved, and the employee themselves have to some times take a step back and re-evaluate what they are doing with their lives. Just because they have been asked to work extra or stay late, they do have the opportunity to decline and there aren't many companies that will hold that against them if they do.

We are all striving to try and find that balance between our home and work lives, but at the end of the day it IS down to us to work out what that balance is and stick to it.

Comment

One of my friends is working as Sales executive in a telecom company. He works hard but find it hard to spend time with his kids and wife. He always leave the office very late and when he reaches home kids would have been fell asleep. Next day he will leave for office early morning so that he can do some more work there before his boss arrives. One day he cannot go to office due to heavy flood and kids were also at home.

He was shocked to see that his own kids were treating him like a stranger as they had not been seeing him for quite long. That is quite an embarrassing situation which is a side effect of corporate work culture.

Comment

Originally posted by to7update View Post
                  That is a tough reality, people work more and more these days, and have less and less time to their families. But this is not all. How many of us get home late, and still have to work when we get there. I've had issues with my wife because of this, and there comes a point where we need to draw a line between work and family, or else we just might lose our family.
                  Same problem with my husband, we always argue about bringing work at home. I had to stand my ground and told him no more working on weekends because it's supposed to be a time for family.

Comment

You have quality vs quantity to deal with. Just cause something is more in number - doesn't mean it's better. In that case, the management needs to assess whether this extra work matches up to quality standards, and if not, it should be stopped.

Comment

I think this kind of balance is very complicated to achieve and honestly, I don't know anyone who has achieved it. There is always one side that overlaps the other: work or life. In the end, I think no matter what effort is made to balance the things... I believe it will always be a personal choice (and that's where the problem lives).

Comment

When you leave work, you do not have to think about business problems anymore. So we enjoy our family the weeked time.

Comment

Countries such as Netherlands, are know to have a good work life balance, and are quite developed so following their strategy might not be bad...

Comment

Working...
                          X