Social Media, Cell Phones, Internet at Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media, Cell Phones, Internet at Work

What should be the policy for social media, cell phone, and internet usage at work? An abuse of a prohibition or light prohibition of such activities has probably caused a lot of people to be fired. Do you think the administration was too harsh? Anyhow, a worker is on company time.

Of course, if you're using these things as part of your job that is a different matter, but I speak of private usage.

Re: Social Media, Cell Phones, Internet at Work

Quite recently in our country a renowned IT company started allowing social media sites at work places. They said doing a repetitive work can make them exhaustive which will adversely affect their productivity in the long term. So there is no harm in using social media sites as a way to refresh minds. Anyway there are set targets for each and every employee and they know they need to complete it at any cost. If the work is done on time there is no harm in using Internet in the office.

I personally feel that there should be a separate refreshment room or something like that where employees can do net surfing or play games in between. This will only increase their productivity and creative thinking which could be beneficial for the company. Moreover, these employee friendly measures are very important to check attrition rates.

Comment

Since marketing asked people to use their social media to help spread word of the company's offers and activities on social media, banning it in the office seems hypocritical. We don't have a problem with people using these sites during break times, only when it starts affecting their productivity. As all web usage is monitored and employees know it, they can use their PCs for web use at their own risk, and if they break the restrictions placed on it then they receive a reprimand or other action is taken.

If it is affecting someone's work however, then it will be treated as any other loss of productivity, and bullying or disclosure of confidential company info remains a disciplinary offense.

Comment

Maybe I am too old fashioned, but I believe these cell phones are taking over the world. Every where you go someone has their phone in their hands. Employers should have policy's of non cell phone use in the work force. They are distracting, and I believe they could hinder ones job performance. Employers aren't paying people to play online, they are paying them to work. If they are on their lunch break/cigarette break, then that's a different story.

Comment

When it comes to cell phones, accessing the internet in the office we should use our discretion. In times where there are customers it will be absolutely wrong for employees to use their mobiles or browse the internet. It maybe okay to use the mobile phone fairly when there are no customers or no task to attend to at moment. This will keep the workers busy and not get bored or dizzy.

Comment

I have had a number of different bosses and places of work in my time and it is pretty interesting to think back on how they differed when it came to this. Some did not mind others thought it was the worst thing ever, I have always been somewhere in the middle.

Comment

In our office, using gadgets for personal purposes is not allowed because it is obviously a distraction from the job. I think the memo that said suspension and other sanctions will result is only fair to the company. Prior to that memo, I have seen the abuse that employees were doing. For the whole day, they continually use their phones to check on their social media account or emails. All those are for personal only but they reason that they are checking on clients. In some big banks that I know, their computers are blocked so they cannot use the internet.

Comment

I think people are way too addicted to this stuff nowadays. Of course, though, I am sort of a hypocrite in saying this fact. However, it cannot be denied. Anyway, given human nature, I am all for banning the stuff at the workplace as many posters have noted it is.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic View Post
                  Quite recently in our country a renowned IT company started allowing social media sites at work places. They said doing a repetitive work can make them exhaustive which will adversely affect their productivity in the long term. So there is no harm in using social media sites as a way to refresh minds. Anyway there are set targets for each and every employee and they know they need to complete it at any cost. If the work is done on time there is no harm in using Internet in the office.

I personally feel that there should be a separate refreshment room or something like that where employees can do net surfing or play games in between. This will only increase their productivity and creative thinking which could be beneficial for the company. Moreover, these employee friendly measures are very important to check attrition rates.
                  I totally agree. Working in logistics or supply chain can be quite stressful. Breaks in which the use of cellphones is allowed can lower stress, and make said use less tempting when it's time to go back to work. People nowadays seem to have the incessant need of constantly checking their social networks. Allowing them a short time to do so could could help improve their performance.

Comment

I think so that a worker should do his works honestly.He should always give a proper time to his job when he is on duty.He should not use any kind of social media during his works.There are many offices in which using the cell phones or any other gadgets is totally not allowed.I think so that there should be a separate timetable for them to use social media.

Comment

I don't think prohibiting use is the solution (this would be the opposite way to solve the problem), but... Controlling their use, yes. Unfortunately, many employees are irresponsible in this regard and need explicit rules on this.

I'm not against using them, but I prefer internal communications systems to avoid these potential problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Shine_Spirit View Post
                        I don't think prohibiting use is the solution (this would be the opposite way to solve the problem), but... Controlling their use, yes. Unfortunately, many employees are irresponsible in this regard and need explicit rules on this.

I'm not against using them, but I prefer internal communications systems to avoid these potential problems.
                        I have seen how employees would be using their phones secretly when the boss is not around. Take note that some people or should I say most people are under the spell of the cellphone whether for texting, call or internet use. I know of some people who post on Facebook once in a while during their working hours. That said, I believe that a stiffer penalty for violating the prohibition will certainely discourage the use of phones during working hours.

Comment

It is important to have internet to work, however you have to put security on computers to prevent employees from going to certain sites

Comment

surfing on the internet for personal use during working hours should be prohibed

Comment

Working...
                            X