Age limit of workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age limit of workers

What exactly is the age limit of workers as per your definition? Under the law, it should be at least 18 years old otherwise they will fall under child labor which is illegal. But there are jobs that can be handled by minors like actors and models not to mentions promo persons. And for the maximum age limit, is it really 60 as per the law or can be higher? The Philippines supreme court has set 70 as the age of retirement of justices. How about in the business industry, how old can an employee work legally?

Re: Age limit of workers

In my country, the retirement age varies amongst the different sectors. The present retirement for Central Government employees is presently 60-years old but some statutory agencies and the private sector retires their employees at 65-years old. Central Government is now working towards having its employees retiring at 60-years, this to become effective in 2018. Some people are able to obtain contract work after retirement. Some of the politicians continue working well into their eighties. I believe that just like them if other persons are up in age and are capable they could be working if they should
    also wish to do so.

Comment

I think exceptions should always be made available for willing parties. Laws should be made to protect the unwilling but at the same time should be free enough that it wouldn't punish those that are. In movies, children are always casted and they are allowed to work full days and months to years on movie sets as long as provisions are met such as getting education on site via private tutors or just simply working around their schedules and circumstances.

Comment

Well teachers and government workers can extend their retirement to 65. They do that so that their SSS or GSIS benefit increases. Besides, SSS or GSIS pension wouldn't even compare to the salary they receive as employees. They'd rather work than put up with low pension benefits. If you're a business owner, you'd rather not retire. It's better to have something to do and earn than not do anything and wait to receive a meager pension.

Comment

A lot depends on what you actually class as work I think. Sometimes, people can work as young as 14 as paperboys or in cafes washing up, in hairdressers sweeping up but obviously only as a part time casual assistant. As far as I'm aware people at 16 can be offered part time contracts with a limited number of hours on there but 18 is the industry standard in most sectors of business I would have thought.

Comment

Some people take this all as a direct type of discrimination. As far as I know, minors can work full-time in case they have a parental permission. Otherwise, they can only do part-time jobs. Some of them work part-time officially but in fact are doing full-time job and receive half of their pay to their bank account and another one right from their employer as "tips".

Comment

As far as elderly people are concerned, it's way more tough. It's harder for them to get a job due to their age and the apparent health concerns which are total bullshit and used in order to blow them off. I feel sorry for them most of the time. They are not willing to just sit there and wait until the reaper comes. They know their value to the world and want to be appreciated by doing their best. I have much respect for them.

Comment

The weaker US economy of the past 9 years has probably made it tough on teenagers. If it's tough for adults to get decent paying jobs, then they will be in competition with traditional teenage jobs like fast food. Actually, I'm surprised American teenagers can get any work at all. Perhaps parents should just keep them at home until they are 18. They could make a loan so the teens can buy things. Of course, the teens should pay it back later.

Comment

Talking about the other end of the scale, here in the UK I think the retirement is 70 form men and 65 for women, but if they are able to carry on with the job then they are allowed to carry on working. That does put a lot of business owners under pressure because if a person reaches that age you may think they can't do that job anymore but they will disagree and so then it's all about compromise.

A lot of people that reach retirement age will want to carry on working even though they know they aren't able to do the job and then it's up to the employer to prove that they can't. If there was was a set cut off age it would be a lot easier but at the same time, as far as the employee goes, they should have the right to carry on working if they want to so it can be a complicated situation on a lot of occasions.

Comment

I think in private jobs they usually look for young professionals who are vibrant and energetic. But experienced professionals are also preferred in key areas irrespective of age. In our company age of retirement is defined as 58 years in the appointment letter but company retained many people especially in technical division who got good experience and liaisoning with public authorities which is very important for business success.

I think the maximum age limit should be between 58 and 60 and young people should be given more job opportunities keeping in mind the fact that unemployment is still a a burning issue all over the world.

Comment

The inferior limit is pretty common worldwide and it's 18, but the superior limit is highly flexible. In Portugal, just recently the retirement age has been gradually increased, and it's not around 66 years old I believe. Just a few years ago it was 64 or so, it's been increasing a couple of months per year, according to the government economic needs...

Comment

That is a good point to bring up the difference between the private and public sectors. When you think about what they value, things like innovation and stability might lead to different types of people to attract.

Comment

The thing with public sectors is that companies in that area are required to follow strict laws, while in the private sector it's more flexible and they have other level of autonomy. Even so I feel older people should have equal chances. What will they do if they lose a job, be unemployed until retirement age?

Comment

In my location and I do think same applies to many other countries, the employable age start from 18. This means that once an individual has attained this age and has the necessary qualification he or she is of age to be employed legally. The maximum age is 45, at this age and above the individual is considered too old for a public office.

Comment

In my country, the retirement age of Government Employee is 60 years.I think so that this age is enough for every person to work properly without any headache or other diseases.Every person should give him mental and physical rest after the age of 60 to spend his life in a peaceful environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X