Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing With Frequent Absences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

    Most of the absentees I have dealt with in my managerial career, are demotivated employees who either do not want to work in the company anymore or have so inhibition about the work assigned to him. It is the managements responsibility to talk to create and maintain a proper and effective communication channel so as to know what is going on tin the minds of the work force. It is the lack of communication that creates unnecessary hindrance in the way of growth of the employee as well as the organization. Sack those who do not want to work, but others should be motivated and encouraged to get the best out of them. I did this on so many occasions with considerable success by becoming friends with them and trying to get into their minds. Some people has to be treated differently so as to utilize their full potential and it is the line manager who should start the process.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

      Originally posted by arunava2016 View Post
      Most of the absentees I have dealt with in my managerial career, are demotivated employees who either do not want to work in the company anymore or have so inhibition about the work assigned to him. It is the managements responsibility to talk to create and maintain a proper and effective communication channel so as to know what is going on tin the minds of the work force. It is the lack of communication that creates unnecessary hindrance in the way of growth of the employee as well as the organization. Sack those who do not want to work, but others should be motivated and encouraged to get the best out of them. I did this on so many occasions with considerable success by becoming friends with them and trying to get into their minds. Some people has to be treated differently so as to utilize their full potential and it is the line manager who should start the process.
      I also see it that way that those employees who come in late and are usually absent have low morale in relation to their job. That is the importance of career planning that we teach the employees so they will have a direction and would not be easily demoralized. As the president of our company said in one assembly, you have to love not only your job but also the company because if you treat the company as family then you will have a brighter outlook in life and towards your work as well. But for those who are truly renegades I guess they ought to be moved to a freezer (with salary but with no function) or be forced to resign.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

        Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
        I also see it that way that those employees who come in late and are usually absent have low morale in relation to their job. That is the importance of career planning that we teach the employees so they will have a direction and would not be easily demoralized. As the president of our company said in one assembly, you have to love not only your job but also the company because if you treat the company as family then you will have a brighter outlook in life and towards your work as well. But for those who are truly renegades I guess they ought to be moved to a freezer (with salary but with no function) or be forced to resign.
        Those are such good motivating words from your president. If employees are encouraged to not only work for a living but to include their work as a vital part of their lives, then maybe they could somehow open their eyes to the good things their work is doing them. If an employee learns to treat his/her job not just as a daily task that needs to be done but a daily part of his/her life needs to be nurtured, maybe he/she could learn to love the job that enables him/her to live a decent life. Somehow I can feel this with majority of our employees, but there is just this one particular employee who has been slaking off for some time now that also affects his co-workers because they in turn have to make adjustments with his frequent absences. My husband and I were talking about it and we both agreed that we have to let him go soon.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

          When your workers miss a workday it could be really harmful to the company itself, it is like if the company was a set of gears moving as the principal gear moves, if one gear stops moving, then the whole set is going to stop moving and consequently, that would stop a whole process, that's exactly what happens when one of your employees misses a workday that should not be forgiven if a valid reason is not given at all, however, I would give them some warnings in order to make them avoid it from happening again, if they keep doing it without giving any kind of reason, then I would definitely have to fire them and get a better asset, that's how it works.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

            I dont think it harms the company too much IF you have other people who would want the hours and cover the shift. After so many times though it becomes an inconvenience because I have to call others to come in to work, and slows down my morning and puts me a little behind. I can be very easy going, but don't abuse it just because you dont want to work.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

              The thing to watch out for though when it comes to people being absent, is that even though you might have the staff to cover that particular job or shift, you can't rely on them to do that all the time. If the same employees are constantly being absent, then you have to find out the reason why and deal with the issue. As I've said before, if the reason is legitimate then you can cover the absentee's workload but if they are off for no real reason, they do have to be dealt with promptly, and if that means dismissal then so be it.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                Originally posted by xTinx View Post
                As an employee, I feel it would be rude to be absent more than 3 times in a month without leave credits. With leave credits, a maximum of 5 days would be enough (including sick leave - unless it's an operation that requires more than 5 days of recovery). If I'm the employer, maximum of 5 days of leave in a month (unless it concerns grave health circumstances) would be justifiable. Maximum of 3 for absences without pay.
                Well, the fact of the matter is is that you might be in the minority. I am probably being pessimistic, but it seems like at every job the majority of people just do not want to work. I get it, work is work, but it seems like more and more people just don't care about missing work and they see work more as a right than a privilege, which is something that I really take pride in knowing I do not think. It is a shame, but eally all you can do as a worker is just focus on yourself, and know that missing too much work is indeed very unprofessional. It's work...show up.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                  Originally posted by Casiox View Post
                  When your workers miss a workday it could be really harmful to the company itself, it is like if the company was a set of gears moving as the principal gear moves, if one gear stops moving, then the whole set is going to stop moving and consequently, that would stop a whole process, that's exactly what happens when one of your employees misses a workday that should not be forgiven if a valid reason is not given at all, however, I would give them some warnings in order to make them avoid it from happening again, if they keep doing it without giving any kind of reason, then I would definitely have to fire them and get a better asset, that's how it works.
                  This is pretty much how things work with our kind of business. Each and everyone has his/her own specific role and when one is missing, all the other members of the crew have to adjust to keep the boat running. It's a good thing our other employees are responsible enough to voluntarily adjust to their co-worker's shortcomings but this cannot go on forever or else I would also risk the well being of my good employees. This particular frequent absentee has been given enough chances already but he still couldn't manage to balance his work life and his recreational life. He would always get absent whenever he comes from a night of drinking because he would always have a hangover the day after. It's no longer fair for the other employees if we still allow him more chances this time.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                    Originally posted by pwarbi View Post
                    The thing to watch out for though when it comes to people being absent, is that even though you might have the staff to cover that particular job or shift, you can't rely on them to do that all the time. If the same employees are constantly being absent, then you have to find out the reason why and deal with the issue. As I've said before, if the reason is legitimate then you can cover the absentee's workload but if they are off for no real reason, they do have to be dealt with promptly, and if that means dismissal then so be it.
                    Agreed. There might be a good reason behind it but it doesn't change the fact that having someone present at the position which is what the person was hired for in the first place is necessary for the business to survive so sometimes the hard decisions have to be made on whether or not to let go of the employee. However I do believe that good leaders will always try and exhaust all other options first before going to this last resort especially when the employee has a good performance record aside from the absences.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                      Originally posted by rz3300 View Post
                      Well, the fact of the matter is is that you might be in the minority. I am probably being pessimistic, but it seems like at every job the majority of people just do not want to work. I get it, work is work, but it seems like more and more people just don't care about missing work and they see work more as a right than a privilege, which is something that I really take pride in knowing I do not think. It is a shame, but eally all you can do as a worker is just focus on yourself, and know that missing too much work is indeed very unprofessional. It's work...show up.
                      I couldn't agree more with what you said. Some employees act as though having a job is a right that has to be given to them but what they don't realize is that there are just too many people out there who are unemployed and there are a lot of people who are waiting for a chance to be accepted in a job. If an employee has been given the chance to work, he/she in turn should also prove him/herself worthy of the job given to him/her by performing his/her role properly.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                        It is important to talk to the employee in question if you notice there is a pattern of absences from the job that is not scheduled in advance, this would be excessive sicks days or last minute vacation days. I would say it is a problem once you notice that it is actually happening. People get sick, kids get sick, and cars break down, however this should not be happening once every week or every other week. Talking to the employee and letting them know that you have noticed this trend and asking for an explanation is the right way to do things. People sometimes have things going on in their life that cause great stress but won't be a permanent issue, divorce, moving, child problems. You can then assess the situation as to have a beneficial resolution for yourself and your employee. Terminating someone without a discussion first is a huge morale killer and I have seen it happen, it makes the employees feel like the are expendable. Leading to a work culture of fear.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                          Originally posted by ad.mike2016 View Post
                          It is important to talk to the employee in question if you notice there is a pattern of absences from the job that is not scheduled in advance, this would be excessive sicks days or last minute vacation days. I would say it is a problem once you notice that it is actually happening. People get sick, kids get sick, and cars break down, however this should not be happening once every week or every other week. Talking to the employee and letting them know that you have noticed this trend and asking for an explanation is the right way to do things. People sometimes have things going on in their life that cause great stress but won't be a permanent issue, divorce, moving, child problems. You can then assess the situation as to have a beneficial resolution for yourself and your employee. Terminating someone without a discussion first is a huge morale killer and I have seen it happen, it makes the employees feel like the are expendable. Leading to a work culture of fear.
                          Talking is essential in any business like you say, and I don't understand why a lot of business owners tend to put up a barrier between them and their employees, as that surely does more harm than good. I understand how these owners might want to create a us and them mentality, as a business owner you don't wan tan employee to treat you as a best friend, but at the same time there as to be a bit of interaction. If your employee is in trouble for whatever reason, then talking to them should be the first thing that you do in my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                            There was a time in my country, mostly in the government service, when employees would abuse the leave entitlement. Some of the workers who were entitled to 14 days sick leave and up to 35 days vacation leave would take the opportunity to be unreasonably absent from work as much as they could. These workers were not required to present a doctor's certificate if they were not absent for more than three days on each occasion. They would stop from work on numerous occasions very early in the year and by the end of the third month many would have exhausted their sick leave entitlement, not because they were ill but because they used the opportunity to not go to work.
                            The authorities have clamped down on this type of behaviour by reducing seek leave entitlements and issuing warnings about frequent absences.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                              Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                              There was a time in my country, mostly in the government service, when employees would abuse the leave entitlement. Some of the workers who were entitled to 14 days sick leave and up to 35 days vacation leave would take the opportunity to be unreasonably absent from work as much as they could. These workers were not required to present a doctor's certificate if they were not absent for more than three days on each occasion. They would stop from work on numerous occasions very early in the year and by the end of the third month many would have exhausted their sick leave entitlement, not because they were ill but because they used the opportunity to not go to work.
                              The authorities have clamped down on this type of behaviour by reducing seek leave entitlements and issuing warnings about frequent absences.
                              This is also a frequent incident here in my country. Even professionals have the tendency to abuse their sick leave and vacation leaves. My sister-in-law is one example, she would always take advantage of the paid sick leaves to increase her vacation time so by the end of each year, she would have already exhausted her paid leaves.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

                                Every company is going to get those employees that will abuse and push the system for their own ends, and I don't think there's a lot as a business owner you can do apart from keep an eye on a persons history. Every employee that I have as a work record folder, and in that is listed all their sick days, vacation days, any disciplinary action that's been taken against them as well as what was last said in their last review that we conduct every 6 months. All of this is valuable information, and if an employee is taking advantage then just by looking at things in that folder you will be able to get a clearer picture of what kind of person they are.

                                If a person is off sick on a regular basis, you can look and see if there's any pattern forming as to when it happens, and in the past I've noticed that an employee was always sick around Halloween. When I looked more closely it was because by the time Halloween came round, he'd already used up his holiday entitlement so the only way he could get time off for the holiday was by ringing in sick. without a paper record of that then I may not have noticed what was going on.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X