Is office uniform still important?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is office uniform still important?

Our company requires the employees to wear office uniform although executives are exempted. Our HR head said that that the office uniform is the symbol of our company and a showcase of our service (I don't know what she meant by that). But I agree that an office uniform is representative of the company for I see that most big companies have elegant uniforms while small companies have only the color to observe and not the style. There is a motion by labor groups in the last Labor Day (May 1) that companies should do away with uniforms and instead give the money to the employees in the form of clothing allowance. That means the company will still shoulder the working clothes of the employees but would have no control on the design and color.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Re: Is office uniform still important?

I think companies should be allowed to enforce uniforms if they wish but they should provide the resources for it. If they are making the employees pay for it then I wouldn't agree with the system, but if they are the ones providing it then I don't see what's wrong. Uniforms are a great way of inspiring solidarity as long as the bosses know how to instill pride in their workers enough that they will feel proud to wear the uniform.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of uniforms especially in my field of software development/web development, most of the time no client's going to see us (except for meetings and such) so wearing a uniform would be pretty pointless, but I always dress nicely when I have a business meeting or a work meeting with our clients, I can't just wear jeans with a hoodie.

Comment

I think it shows cooperation and teamwork, as well as gives the outside world the illusion that you are a well oiled machine, which means the jobs done at the company are in tip top shape as well. I personally don't mind, since I'm the type who hates picking out clothes for the day, so a uniform would definitely save me the hassle of trying to make sense of fashion, matching up colors and all that, and just put on my uniform, and head to work. You would not believe how much time you would be able to save if you only have to wear a predetermined set of clothes, instead of trying to pick them out for yourself.

Comment

I do not like the whole uniform thing. I do like the dress code and it means a shirt and a tie, some shoes and not running shoes. Something like that ... A jacket. Uniforms imply some kind of a rule and it really looks depressing to me. I like to see people choosing their own style but following a dress code. You can't go into an office in your shorts. I have been teaching English online and I have to wear a shirt an a tie. It looks more serious and I agree with that.

Comment

No, I think uniforms kill individuality and that individuality is good. Destroying uniqueness tends to weakens the strengths of people over time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunneler View Post
              No, I think uniforms kill individuality and that individuality is good. Destroying uniqueness tends to weakens the strengths of people over time.
              I agree with you to some extent but I think in some cases unity may be more helpful than individuality and one can even argue that unity is just another form of individuality in that it provides the company a certain personality as a whole which can help set them apart from the competition and when executed successfully can give the employees a good amount of wealth that can help to give them chance to flourish on their own individuality but just on their own time. In some businesses, individuality may be the best way to go, I think especially so in creatively inclined industries but for most businesses I think unity or solidarity trumps the importance of individuality.

Comment

I don't think so. I hate the whole dress code thing. At the same time, I understand that everyone should look decent but that's their deal to find themselves clothes that fit them best. For example, we didn't have any dress code at university and most people were looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by djordjem87 View Post
                  I do not like the whole uniform thing. I do like the dress code and it means a shirt and a tie, some shoes and not running shoes. Something like that ... A jacket. Uniforms imply some kind of a rule and it really looks depressing to me. I like to see people choosing their own style but following a dress code. You can't go into an office in your shorts. I have been teaching English online and I have to wear a shirt an a tie. It looks more serious and I agree with that.
                  I work in a bank and our company is very strict when it comes to dress code - uniform for the staff up to managerial level and casual formal for executives. Would you believe that even the footwear has a guideline? You cannot go out of the building in uniform and wearing slippers. There have been so many cases of employees being reprimanded for doing that - wearing improper footwear with the office uniform. By the way, there is also a guideline on the hair and makeup. Female cannot have any makeup of their choice since we have attended an orientation on the subject. So for those who don't want discipline, I guess you can be suspended if you are stubborn regarding the issue of uniform.

Comment

In my opinion, uniform is too important to be looked different and unique from others.Many companies are very strict about wearing the uniform.A decent and nice uniform always shows the cooperation and teamwork of a good staff, which is too good for the company and its customers.

Comment

I think everybody should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I don't total like the idea of enforcing some kind of clothes on employee unless it is for the safety of the employees.

Comment

Yes, the presence and the compulsory of uniforms are still very frequent and necessary (especially in the jobs that are better consolidated worldwide). Uniforms are also needed to establish a pattern to follow. It may sound silly, but it's very important.

Comment

I think office uniforms still matters a lot in so many companies not only because it brings unity among workers, but as a result of the fact that most companies use the official uniforms as a source of advertising and showcasing the work they perform to the general public. Aldo, wearing office uniforms in places like the eateries is a sign that will help the customers to identify with the workers at those places easily anytime they come to eat at the place. I still think office uniforms are quite important to some organizations no matter what we think about the reason hose companies ask their staff to wear it.

Comment

Working...
                          X