Ways to Increase Company Morale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to Increase Company Morale

Morale has been low at the one company that I work for. We had to streamline the company and got rid of about 1/3 of our workforce. All the people we got rid of hadn't been there very long and most of them only worked part-time. We did this because we still wanted to be able to give great benefits to our regular employees, as well as the raises they expect on a regular basis. However, it did slightly increase the amount of work that was put on some of us. The workload doesn't seem to be too much of a bother, but we hear a lot of uttering from employees about "the company being cheap" or "perhaps their job is in jeopardy, too." We explained to everyone why we chose to go this route and how it really is keeping their benefits and salaries more secure, but the morale is low. I want to find ways to restore it. Does anyone have any suggestions for this scenario?

Re: Ways to Increase Company Morale

Do an efficiency pass? Are you doing a bunch of obscure nonsense that you don't need to that takes up too much time? Other than that, they might have a legitimate complaint if you added more work to their schedule while saving yourself money without giving them any compensation, that's pretty cheap yeah.

Comment

I think a team-building activity (held maybe quarterly or bi-annually depending on what's financially convenient for the company) can help boost your company's morale. You can schedule it per department or for the entire company. Occasional icebreaker games and bonding activities are really cool and beneficial too. Request your HR to do something about it. They're in-charge of boosting company morale, you know.

Comment

Giving bonuses and days off would probably boost my morale. Also, rewarding hard work is enough, and not succumbing to nepotism or favoritism. I think that would be enough for me in the work place. You pay your dues, you work hard at the bottom of the pyramid, and you would eventually move up. I hate it when people take short cuts, when people get connections to get them somewhere, or just skimp off work because someone else would be able to work on it eventually. That would probably boost my morale, and to make sure people who slack off and pass off their work to others would get the boot any time soon.

Comment

It may take a bit of effort to change the workers perception of the current situation. Most of all the insecurity from the belief that they could possibly also lose their jobs would really put them on edge and affect their level of efficiency. However, it may not be added incentives alone that may ease the disquiet. In this case, aspects of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs is useful. You may have to be working to let the workers believe that they are secure in their job, show them the necessary respect let them feel accepted and help them to develop their full potential. Planning some events that could foster a pleasing social interaction between management and workers, events to commend and reward outstanding achievements are some of the methods which could bring back workers confidence.

Comment

We give overly adequate time off for our employees, but it is a good suggestion. I think any more would be almost detrimental to be honest. I like the suggestion of analyzing Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It is definitely important for workers to feel secure, confident, and also needed, particularly when it comes to the aspect of work. I know that salary is important to workers, but I have seen plenty of cases where workers have actually left a company where they were making more to take a position elsewhere because they feel more respected and have more room to grow at a different place of employment. Thank you all so much for the suggestions and keep them coming! It seems like our company hires the best people at what they specifically do so they are always trying to be recruited by other firms that do similar work, too. That is probably the main reason why morale is such an immediate concern to me anyway.

Comment

In my opinion a bit of presence and communication goes a long way. As long as the bosses are there and provide a channel for which the employees can gain a better understanding of the situation of the company as well as being able to voice their concerns and ask questions then they are more likely to empathize and comprehend the hardships of what the company is going through instead of just focusing on their own situation because if they know why things are happening instead of being left in the dark they will at least have context and a better view of the bigger picture and maybe even some possible extra options which may help in them feeling less anxious and demoralized.

Comment

Nobody likes to hear this, but the answer is money. Especially in low paid environments or in companies that try to substitute paying well with a bunch of odd ball perks.

Comment

If I would be tasked with that project to increase the morale of the employees, my first approach would be a one-on-one survey. When my husband was hired as a general manager of a medium-sized software house, that's the first step he did to get an insight of what's going on down there (the opinion of the subordinates regarding the company). He wanted to get a good unbiased picture of the state of condition of the company.

But with my survey, I have to know the wish list of the employees or should I say what's inside their minds, their career plans, their concern for the company. Second step would be a team building activity. Going out of town in a single bus and taking an overnight on the location plus the possible group dynamics. Third step is to analyze the data that I had gathered. Since this is just an assumed scenario, I cannot say what resolution is needed but definitely the result of the evaluation will point to that direction on why the morale is low and how to increase it.

Comment

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
                    If I would be tasked with that project to increase the morale of the employees, my first approach would be a one-on-one survey. When my husband was hired as a general manager of a medium-sized software house, that's the first step he did to get an insight of what's going on down there (the opinion of the subordinates regarding the company). He wanted to get a good unbiased picture of the state of condition of the company.

But with my survey, I have to know the wish list of the employees or should I say what's inside their minds, their career plans, their concern for the company. Second step would be a team building activity. Going out of town in a single bus and taking an overnight on the location plus the possible group dynamics. Third step is to analyze the data that I had gathered. Since this is just an assumed scenario, I cannot say what resolution is needed but definitely the result of the evaluation will point to that direction on why the morale is low and how to increase it.
                    I agree and I think this is one of the best ways to go about it. As much as there is usually just one or two major problems causing this, it still would probably be helpful to get the perspective of each individual to get a much more accurate picture of what you are really dealing with. If the situation is severe, usually representatives alone like a manager won't be able to voice out each and every issue and the only way to find out really is to hear it straight from the source which is every single employee.

Comment

Personally I haven't ever had to deal with low morale in my workforce, but what I will say is that communication and money are the two most important things that your employees look at. They want to know exactly what is going on, and they also want to be fairly paid for the work that they are doing. Depending on how big the business is, get all your employees in the one room and address them telling them exactly what is going on, and make sure that if they are working harder now than they have had to before, tell them that their extra hard work will be paid accordingly.

People don't care about team building exercises or a cream cake to go with their breaks, they want to be happy in their roles, know whats going on and most importantly be paid what they are owed. That's all the motivation that people need in my experience.

Comment

оnсе upоn а timе а smаll sоftwаrе еnginееring tеаm dеlivеrеd а vеry suссеssful rеlеаsе оn timе undеr сhаllеnging соnditiоns.
                        а fеw dаys lаtеr а strеtсh limоusinе аrrivеs tо trаnspоrt thе tеаm tо а tеаm lunсh in а luxuriоus rеstаurаnt. Gооd fооd аnd winе is соnsumеd, pеnniеs аrе nоt соuntеd. Thе tеаm fееls аpprесiаtеd. Thе tеаm fееls еmpоwеrеd tо dо еvеn bеttеr.
                        This wаs nоt а vеry еxpеnsivе pеrk, but еvеryоnе in thе tеаm will rеmеmbеr thаt limоusinе (аnd thе mаnаgеr whо оrdеrеd it) аs lоng аs thеy livе. Sаdly, duе tо mаnаgеmеnt сhаngеs thе limоusinе nеvеr саmе аgаin. Mоrаlе nеvеr rесоvеrеd; rеplасing thе limоusinе with thе whip еvеntuаlly еnсоurаgеd аll thе sеniоr tеаm mеmbеrs tо sееk аltеrnаtivе еmplоymеnt.

Comment

How an employer treats their employees is obviously going to have a big impact on the moral of the company, and even though some bosses say that being paid should be enough, a lot of employees do want and need that extra motivation in order to go the extra mile. Just sometimes even a simple hello in the morning and a sense that they are appreciated can make all the difference as I myself have worked for people who would walk around and belittle you, think they're better than you and that does absoloutly no good at all when it comes to making employees want to put the extra effort in.

Comment

Increasing company morale is simply common sense. Pay them more. Give them more vacations. Give them bonuses and other benefits for a well-done job. Give the women time off for pregnancy and childcare.

Nonetheless, the company must take care not to be too nice cause they could be taken advantage of. In other words, the perks have to be carefully watched and regulated to prevent abuse.

Comment

This is difficult, and you can really ask any manager or anyone who has to do this as a function of their job. The one thing I can say is that a lot of the corny and cheesy attempts really can backfire, so you have to be careful and take some time and give it some thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X