Child labor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Child labor

I would say it's beneficial for the kids to learn a good work ethic at a young age, it's something I've been struggling with for my whole life and I wish I worked when I was younger, I wasted a lot of time messing around instead of doing what I'm supposed to do. As long as the kid is okay with the work and he's not abused I don't think it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzyon View Post
      I would say it's beneficial for the kids to learn a good work ethic at a young age, it's something I've been struggling with for my whole life and I wish I worked when I was younger, I wasted a lot of time messing around instead of doing what I'm supposed to do. As long as the kid is okay with the work and he's not abused I don't think it's a problem.
      Maybe you are talking about the summer jobs that some companies are having during the summer vacation. That training program is reserved for the children of the company's employees in order to teach them how to handle money and how to be responsible. And that is not considered child labor but more of a training course. Child labor is the employment of children in factories and other cottage industry businesses. Most of those firms pay the children on a per piece basis - on the amount of work they had accomplished. And the work is not temporary but semi-permanent, meaning there is regular work although not continuous. An example is the printing press when work is an overload during the holiday season that the company is forced to hire temporary workers... mostly children who are paid lower.

Comment

The demands of kids are not that large. Perhaps they just want a few dollars each week to buy a video game. However, in developing nations we might see a situation where kids are working for the survival of the family. Nonetheless, that situation still doesn't always justify child labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason76 View Post
          The demands of kids are not that large. Perhaps they just want a few dollars each week to buy a video game. However, in developing nations we might see a situation where kids are working for the survival of the family. Nonetheless, that situation still doesn't always justify child labor.
          You're right. I think in poorer countries the issue of child labor is much more prominent because people tend to exploit children where the rules and systems are less structured or enforcement of set rules is not able to be given as much resource as necessary. In some places I have heard that even the politicians are the ones running these child exploitation groups behind the scenes which makes it even harder to combat them since they are supposedly the ones put in place to protect.

Comment

I have witnessed child labor in restaurants, but not so often, and what I have witnessed is not that serious anyway compared to some other nations out there that rely on child labor. There was this one restaurant that I visited, the owner was teaching his son how to use the cash register, and that little boy couldn't have been much older than 8 years old. You pay for the food when you finish at this place. There was one couple who had finished eating, they went to pay, and the little boy was standing on a stool waiting to take care of the customers, the father was watching him, and taking orders at the same time.

Now although this may be accepted within a small community, it is still child labor, I don't care if it was for 1 hour. That little boy did not need to be up there, it was not his duties to process payments, but it happened anyway. It could be looked at as not a big deal, but things like this happen all the time.

Comment

This summer, there were many posts in Facebook by my personal friends about their kids doing crew work in McDonalds outlets. The children are 7 to 10 years old, dressed in crew uniform with matching cap. One parent said that it is just for fun, making it clear that it is not child labor. However, when the work was detailed, the children sometimes carry the tray to the customers, i.e. for sandwiches only. The kids are also taught how to use the mop. What's cute is the kids in the entrance who greet incoming customers. I don't think it can be considered child labor but McDonalds have to be careful with the policy specifically on the duties of the children trainees.

Comment

The United States has fairly stringent child labor laws and that doesn't happen a lot here. However, I do investigate companies that use child labor when it comes to the products that I buy that are manufactured overseas. I have a very strict policy of not using companies that use child labor. It is wrong and the working conditions are often horrible. I think that other governments have cracked down on the abuse of child labor but it still regularly happens overseas. No matter what anyone says, it is wrong and it is exploitation.

Comment

Well the one thing that I can almost certainly guarantee is that it is happening somewhere, in whatever country you are living in. It is sad, but it is just one of those harsh truths that we need to know about and hopefully work to solve or eliminate. It is a struggle to anything globally, though, so it would seen that it would need to be dealt with in a country by country basis. It is so sad some of the circumstances that some people have to live in, and I really hope that the people have charge have the best interests of these people in their minds.

Comment

child labor is an international issue. Due to poverty and other family situations the child goes for earning. This is very shame. All children should goto school to study, utleast minimum qualification. It will help their family in future. The international child welfare societies are taking care of these activities to implement in their countries to abolish child labor. There should be substitution to run their family. These kind of activities are more in African countries. The WHO should take care for child welfare and providing education and health to the child and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by harvy View Post
                      child labor is an international issue. Due to poverty and other family situations the child goes for earning. This is very shame. All children should goto school to study, utleast minimum qualification. It will help their family in future. The international child welfare societies are taking care of these activities to implement in their countries to abolish child labor. There should be substitution to run their family. These kind of activities are more in African countries. The WHO should take care for child welfare and providing education and health to the child and their families.
                      Good point. The problem with this really is that sometimes it is necessary for he child to work and if they are prevented from doing so then there is a whole new issue you'd have to deal with and without the proper channels to help deal with this particular problem which poverty then you really lessen your chances of being able to solve the issue of child labor because they go hand in hand. Unfortunately less developed countries are less likely to care about such things because when there is scarcity people tend to become a lot more selfish especially the ones in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                        Good point. The problem with this really is that sometimes it is necessary for he child to work and if they are prevented from doing so then there is a whole new issue you'd have to deal with and without the proper channels to help deal with this particular problem which poverty then you really lessen your chances of being able to solve the issue of child labor because they go hand in hand. Unfortunately less developed countries are less likely to care about such things because when there is scarcity people tend to become a lot more selfish especially the ones in power.
                        You are correct. Sometimes child labor becomes nessacary. Poverty does need to be addressed in these situations. Sometimes leaders of and governments of less developed nations do care, but they simply don't have the resources to address the issue. It is a sad situation. There is so much money wasted on nonsense by more developed countries while less developed ones struggle.

Comment

I really don't know if shunning child labor. In developed countries and most of in development ones, adults can earn enough to support their children. But in poorer countries, misery is so rampant that families have no choice but to rely in every family member to bring food to their tables. Is really awful, indeed, but forbidding them for work without giving a strong support will make some of them go for any available alternative like prostitution or begging in the streets.

Comment

I completely disagree with using child labor considering there are plenty of other citizens that need jobs. Kids should continue being kids until they grow up and get out of school. Adults need to actually feed their families.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshSmith View Post
                              I completely disagree with using child labor considering there are plenty of other citizens that need jobs. Kids should continue being kids until they grow up and get out of school. Adults need to actually feed their families.
                              I think you should have read more of the comments before posting. There are different definitions of what child labor is and variable needs dependning on where you are. A flat out for or against statement is an uneducated and possibly ignorant one.

Comment

Originally posted by nytegeek View Post
                                Child labor laws in most places don't usually protect from exploitation by their families, just by businesses.
                                In third world countries when a child has a job, it may be that odd summer job or a weekend job they only keep some of the money. The parents keep 80% of what their kids earn. Worse still some children actually work as slaves. They aren't paid because the money they earn is collected by their parents.

Comment

Working...
                                X