Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child labor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Child labor

    Child labor in farms here cannot be avoided simply because the manager is the patriarch. And to save paying wages is to employ his own children. And even if there is a law on child labor, it cannot be fully implemented when there is no one to complain. Besides, it is very difficult to go against tradition. A standard farm of 7 hectares need about 10 people during the planting season - of any crop like rice or corn. The usual pay is a few dollars a day and a share in the harvest which comes after 4 months. In harvesting, the same scheme applies so harvests are usually big deal because of the full payment of wages... including child laborers.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Child labor

      Actually, you will see children working more than you might think - but whereas in other countries it might be the norm, over here it is more likely to be the case that relatives of other employees are looking to earn some money while they're off school for the holidays or something like that. I do think that you have to be very careful if you're choosing to do this as a business though, because there are laws, and it isn't worth getting into trouble over - so if anybody is working in your company you do really need to make sure that it is all legal and above board.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Child labor

        Whether or not child labor is cool or not depends on the type of employment. Obviously working in a coal mine isn't healthy for children. On the other hand, they might be able to do a writing job, and in fact, it could help them out in school. Of course, some light labor can actually keep them out of trouble. That's how Michael Jackson's dad kept his kids out of trouble while they were rising to the top.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Child labor

          Originally posted by Jason76 View Post
          Whether or not child labor is cool or not depends on the type of employment. Obviously working in a coal mine isn't healthy for children. On the other hand, they might be able to do a writing job, and in fact, it could help them out in school. Of course, some light labor can actually keep them out of trouble. That's how Michael Jackson's dad kept his kids out of trouble while they were rising to the top.
          Good point. I think this is where blanket laws might fail because for some it is a good way out or at least a good distraction or form of discipline and without it children might just turn to worse situations for themselves such as being involved with gangs or just general criminal behavior.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Child labor

            Pardon me if this sounds obnoxious to you. There are beach and swimming resorts here that employ children as entertainers and escorts. It is not an official function but an underground arrangement so the resort is not implicated when something happens. What's bad is that parents are the promoters of their children to escort foreign tourists. So many cases have been uncovered that children were used for other purposes than escorting. But there were no arrests because the parents wouldn't complain.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Child labor

              Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
              Pardon me if this sounds obnoxious to you. There are beach and swimming resorts here that employ children as entertainers and escorts. It is not an official function but an underground arrangement so the resort is not implicated when something happens. What's bad is that parents are the promoters of their children to escort foreign tourists. So many cases have been uncovered that children were used for other purposes than escorting. But there were no arrests because the parents wouldn't complain.
              That situation is horrible. It seems like the Philippine government would be cracking down on such a degenerate industry catering to foreign degenerates. I did read that in Cambodia they were starting to institute the death penalty or heavy imprisonment for child *** tourists. In fact there are posters warning people coming into the nation about the penalty for breaking the rules.

              No, I don't think anyone on this forum is trying to rationalize child abuse.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Child labor

                Originally posted by Jason76 View Post
                That situation is horrible. It seems like the Philippine government would be cracking down on such a degenerate industry catering to foreign degenerates. I did read that in Cambodia they were starting to institute the death penalty or heavy imprisonment for child *** tourists. In fact there are posters warning people coming into the nation about the penalty for breaking the rules.

                No, I don't think anyone on this forum is trying to rationalize child abuse.
                The Philippine government is probably turning a blind eye to the practice for revenue. It's horrible, but that is often the case. As for the death penalty, that is just a stupid decision. If they have to execute anyone, guess what? It wasn't a valid deterrent.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Child labor

                  When it comes to child labor, it is always the parents who are guilty. But it seems that the law is not clear on that hence some parents still exploit their children to earn money. Just go to a busy street in Metro Manila and you will find children as young as 5 years old begging in the streets. And it is a sorry sight to see the mother, or sometimes the parents, in one corner waiting for the bounty from the child beggar. The DSWD (department of social welfare and development) would only act when the media would blow up the issue otherwise that scene of the child beggar is a common sight.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Child labor

                    Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
                    When it comes to child labor, it is always the parents who are guilty. But it seems that the law is not clear on that hence some parents still exploit their children to earn money. Just go to a busy street in Metro Manila and you will find children as young as 5 years old begging in the streets. And it is a sorry sight to see the mother, or sometimes the parents, in one corner waiting for the bounty from the child beggar. The DSWD (department of social welfare and development) would only act when the media would blow up the issue otherwise that scene of the child beggar is a common sight.
                    I have heard some of them are handled by cartels wherein they are imported to the city from the province and made to work the streets and bring home what they earned and if they don't come home with anything they are punished. I've seen a similar situation portrayed in slumdog millionaire where Indian street kids were being used to manipulate tourists into giving them money and apparently some were even forcefully blinded just to make them more compelling. I haven't confirmed if this is also the case in manila but I have heard in passing that the one in India is fairly accurate.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Child labor

                      The term child labour can be misleading when it confuses harmful work with employment that may be beneficial to children. It can also ignore harmful work outside employment and any benefits children normally derive from their work.Domestic work is an example: all families but the rich must work at cleaning, cooking, caring, and more to maintain their homes.
                      In most families in the world, this process extends to productive activities, especially herding and various types of agriculture,and to a variety of small family businesses.
                      Despite this type of child labor, there may be some bad-type of child labor, which is induced by the companies.It can be stopped, but many people need to step in and do something about it, otherwise it's just going to keep getting worse.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Child labor

                        Most people claim that big corporations in the States often outsource their production to Asia, benefiting from cheaper pay and more productivity, because they can hire more for less amount that they were spending in the US companies. This also means that they won't hold standards meant for US work, meaning child labor is often used to make it even more cheaper, as well as make them more disciplined, and hey, no company unions as well who will air the grievances of the staff to the higher ups. It's a pretty sad situation, but let's also look on the other side of the coin before we sharpen our pitchforks. Some claim that even though the work is deplorable, they STILL earn more than their own country's wages, and the companies have lots of positions for hire, meaning people in poverty can have a chance to have food at their tables every night because of these outsourced jobs. Not everything is black and white, so we really need to see the ups and downs of the situation.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Child labor

                          You need to be at least 18 to work in Serbia. If not, your employer can go in prison, have his business shot down and pay a fee to the government of the country. It is not normal to think about this and I believe that it is quite common in some Asian countries like Chine. Do not take me for granted, I really do not not this for sure, I just heard about this and decided to believe. If this is correct, it is very much wrong and those people are very sick in their heads. The whole mankind has went south and we really do not have very sane system of values.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Child labor

                            Originally posted by djordjem87 View Post
                            You need to be at least 18 to work in Serbia. If not, your employer can go in prison, have his business shot down and pay a fee to the government of the country. It is not normal to think about this and I believe that it is quite common in some Asian countries like Chine. Do not take me for granted, I really do not not this for sure, I just heard about this and decided to believe. If this is correct, it is very much wrong and those people are very sick in their heads. The whole mankind has went south and we really do not have very sane system of values.
                            I assume it's only about working full-time, right?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Child labor

                              Originally posted by djordjem87 View Post
                              You need to be at least 18 to work in Serbia. If not, your employer can go in prison, have his business shot down and pay a fee to the government of the country. It is not normal to think about this and I believe that it is quite common in some Asian countries like Chine. Do not take me for granted, I really do not not this for sure, I just heard about this and decided to believe. If this is correct, it is very much wrong and those people are very sick in their heads. The whole mankind has went south and we really do not have very sane system of values.
                              I think that's good that the government is taking steps to protect children from being exploited. Personally I believe teenagers should be allowed to work if they choose but maybe just set parameters to help protect them better so they can't get exploited by doing so, but having this type of law sounds like enough of a measure to at least form a general protection for all kids. I just wish sometimes that there was a more intricate law that can serve as a compromise so those that choose to can do so without worry.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Child labor

                                There are international sanctions against child labor. There is this war against some countries over this issue. However, I am very surprised to see that in some other countries between the ages of 10 years and upwards are employed in sweat-shop-like establishments to produce goods and services. I am wondering if it's because these establishments are owned by large conglomerates why these situations are allowed to prevail.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X