Irregular working hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irregular working hours

Is working in irregular working hours qualify you for a differential of at least 20% of your regular pay? Our office security guard had been complaining of irregular working hours because he is on the night shift and the guy on the morning shift was frequently absent due to health issues. I would have recommended an additional pay for that security guard. However, he is with the agency that our company had been outsourcing so he is not under our responsibility.

Re: Irregular working hours

Yes, I think so because I have many friends who work at call centers during odd hours and they get paid more if they work during that time compared to working regular hours. I think he should definitely bring it up with his superiors because if he is not getting paid additional I think that is unfair. I don't know how it works for the security industry though, but I think that part should be the same as everyone else.

Comment

I think human considerations should seriously involve more pay, but as long as companies can get away with -not- paying those workers and pocketing that money somewhere up the labor chain, they will. It is exploitative and the nature of business in its current iteration globally, and the only way to fix it is to abstain from feeding money into those companies that exploit people.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunneler View Post
        I think human considerations should seriously involve more pay, but as long as companies can get away with -not- paying those workers and pocketing that money somewhere up the labor chain, they will. It is exploitative and the nature of business in its current iteration globally, and the only way to fix it is to abstain from feeding money into those companies that exploit people.
        Sadly this is true and I think you made a very good point and maybe even a possible solution. It might be a long shot but if it can be brought up with superiors then they might be able to request or demand it from who they are outsourcing to and if not and if they think they can afford the switch then maybe they should look into another company that treats their employees better. The only downside is that if that happens then that security guard would be out of a job or maybe he will just be transferred elsewhere.

Comment

My opinion is pretty simple on this one. Every hour should be paid. Not only an hour, actually. Every minute, I'd say. If the company pays for the time.

Comment

Originally posted by artyarson View Post
            My opinion is pretty simple on this one. Every hour should be paid. Not only an hour, actually. Every minute, I'd say. If the company pays for the time.
            You are right on that but the issue is the irregular working hours like a graveyard shift and worse is the intermittent. There is a printing press in our village that employes mostly residents here. Their working hours depend on the orders. Sometimes they work continuously for 24 hours, have a break of 8 hours and continue for another 24 hours again. But the workers say the pay is good because they get a premium for working after 8 hours, another premium for working beyong 16 hours on top of being a Sunday or holiday. I think that's fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
              Is working in irregular working hours qualify you for a differential of at least 20% of your regular pay? Our office security guard had been complaining of irregular working hours because he is on the night shift and the guy on the morning shift was frequently absent due to health issues. I would have recommended an additional pay for that security guard. However, he is with the agency that our company had been outsourcing so he is not under our responsibility.
              He may not be under your company's direct responsibility but it's your company's right to demand that the security agency send another guard instead of forcing one guard to extend his shift to cover for the day guard. It's actually your company that's being shortchanged because it's impossible for the night shift guard to deliver 100% performance when he takes over the slot of the day guard. Yet, the company is paying him 100% through the agency. That practice constitutes contract violation and our company does not tolerate it.

There's another side to this. The guards' salaries are charged to the client. The agency only earns by adding a fixed percentage on the guard's salaries. This means that if the company wants to pay the guards a higher fee, this is actually possible because ultimately, they're the ones who pay the salaries through the agency. That will also raise the agency fee because it is based on the guards' salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by artyarson View Post
                My opinion on this subject is exactly like yours. I already commented with my friends about this and they say that what I think is a utopia. However, I still believe that the day when companies will all work in that way will arrive (it's only a matter of time and interest).

Comment

Well, it depends on the agreement those workers working at irregular hours have with the company for most companies would try to give bonuses and pay rise to those workers who choose to work at irregular hours, so I don't see any issue with that. Also, it is important that the workers who work at irregular hours and feels cheated alert the company about the issue instead of discussing it with other workers that might contribute nothing to the situation at hand.

Comment

This has to be dealt not only by human resources but by the upper management as well, since it isn't limited to irregular hours but to frequent absences that effect other workers.

Comment

If your colleague works nights, weekends or holidays, he should have compensation on his salary

Comment

Working...
                      X