No overtime pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No overtime pay

Lack of overtime pay is inhuman. It does not account for the human need for rest - it is simply a product of ambition and unhealthy management. This is one of the key problems with society - that people in power are so willing to harm the health of others for personal gains.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunneler View Post
      Lack of overtime pay is inhuman. It does not account for the human need for rest - it is simply a product of ambition and unhealthy management. This is one of the key problems with society - that people in power are so willing to harm the health of others for personal gains.
      I might just be missing something but I'd just like to know what you think because I think there is some responsibility from workers to stop this type of abuse as well, since if there is no one who will allow themselves to be victimized then the pattern will stop. I'm guessing the biggest hurdle in this is that a lot of people might feel like they have not much options in getting a new job so they tend to put up with harmful conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreht View Post
        We have it worked into our contracts that we have to work overtime if necessary to the project but we will not be paid for any overtime worked.
        In that case, how can the worker complain for the unpaid overtime work? Those contracts are the usual agreement in project-based jobs like the movies. But in construction companies. they also render overtime but the workers are fully paid except for the engineers who have those contract called "free time" because they can work any time. But I agree that lack of overtime pay is inhuman because even if the person has nothing to do but his time is consumed in the job like a security guard.

Comment

I kinda like the way this sounds. Sounds like a good idea and even better than overtime pay. I think as long as its disclosed before they start working for you, then they cant really complain reguardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
            In our office, the no overtime pay policy is enforced. That means you don't get extra payment no matter how long your work overtime. But in fairness ot the employee, there is a corresponding vacation or day off with the number of hours of overtime work. Some employees are complaining because they want money in exchange for their extra labor. But our office is firm in not paying extra because their reason is to prevent abuse of overtime work.
            We normally pay extra for any overtime above 30 minutes of work.

We cannot afford to give them a holiday on any other day as we follow a 6 day work week.

Also, we monitor the work of the employees strictly and therefore, there is no question of overtime abuse at all.

Our policy is working very well and our efficiency of employees is constant at 87% or so.

Comment

The thing is though, if the employees in a company are being exploited then it's up to them to do something about it and stick together. If every person in that organisation downed tools after 8 hours of work, what they get paid for, then the boss or in this case the director can't sack them all can they, so they will HAVE to come to some arrangement. While I understand that some people will be unwilling to do that because they are afraid of losing their job or getting a bad reputation, I'd rather do that than work for 20 hours and only get paid for 8 of them.

Comment

There is this shift from paying for overtime to the granting of time off from work done beyond the normal working hours. This practice has now been adopted by many businesses. This practice is advantageous to management because it eliminates the higher overtime rate payment for work done beyond normal hours.

Comment

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                  There is this shift from paying for overtime to the granting of time off from work done beyond the normal working hours. This practice has now been adopted by many businesses. This practice is advantageous to management because it eliminates the higher overtime rate payment for work done beyond normal hours.
                  Here in the UK e have also seen that kind of shift, and a lot of companies here instead of paying overtime will allow extra time off instead. As a business owner, sometimes I'd rather pay the extra money, because if I have too many employees working extra hours so they can have extra days off, eventually that's going to leave me short staffed if they all decide that they want the same time off.

Most employees will want that extra time off around the holiday periods understandably, but as I said, if I have 10 employees all requesting the same days off, they will have earned those days because of the extra work they have done so it will be hard for me to say no, even though that means for those days I am going to be short staffed so may have to pay extra anyway to cover those jobs with agency workers.

Comment

My previous employer had the same policy and i thought it was ridiculous since my employer before them does offer overtime pay. But eventually I've accepted it, there's really nothing i can do about it. I just try to finish my tasks on time so i wouldn't have to stay beyond my work time. I think it's only fair for every companies to offer overtime pay, isn't it in a business handbook somewhere.

Comment

Sometimes though some employees try to take advantage of the overtime pay and will purposely drag out their workload so they can get paid the extra amount of money. The giving time off instead will often mean that those same employees will no longer want to work late and ill then start to finish on time. Some companies also may not be able to afford the overtime pay but still need the work to be done, so what other option do they then have?

I'm not disagreeing as I think that people should be paid a fair amount for every hour of work that they do, I'm just playing devils advocate by coming up with scenarios when it might not be plausible to do that.

Comment

In the United States if you are an hourly employee you have to get overtime pay for anything over 40 hours a week. I don't think any companies would take the risk of not paying someone overtime, the lawsuit would be an easy win for the plaintiff. Some companies can get around this with hiring staff on as salary. Salary employees do not get paid over time, you get the same amount if you work 40 hours a week or 100 hours a week. Outside of our industry I know this is a big custom in the restaurant and food service industry. Chefs usually work 60 hours a week however, they are paid salary so there is no over time pay. When you say that hourly employees do not get over time pay do you mean they don't get paid anything or they don't get the time and a half? Time and a half is how it works in the U.S. if you get paid 10 dollars an hour and work 41 hours in a week, for that one hour of over time you get paid 15 dollars. If you are not being compensated at all for working over 8 hours a day I would hope the workers would come together and demand better working conditions. Sometimes living in the U.S. you can take things like this for granted.

Comment

The new order is for workers to be given the equivalent amount of hours time off for extra hours worked and I suspect that this situation might prevail in the United Stares also. What the employer has done in this case, is to avoid paying the extra rate for work done beyond normal time, therefore, the worker would end up been paid normal rate for overtime work. I hope that something can be done by the labour authorities to regulate this unfair practice which only benefits the employer.

Comment

In a way it is up to the employees to take it up with the management if they think that they are being unfairly treated when it comes to the overtime rules, but these days when unemployment is quite high, they are unwilling to cause any problems as they are aware that there are others who will be more than happy to take their jobs who won't complain. The problem is that the employers know that and so they are getting away with unfair practices more and more as they know that their employees are too afraid to complain.

Comment

Almost no business has a constant flow of work for 12 months a year. More hours are needed at certain times. Department stores here in the USA avoid paying overtime near the holidays by hiring a bunch of seasonal employees. However, I would think for most jobs, it is more worthwhile to pay a full-time employee time and a half than to train someone new to only work for two months.

Comment

Are you getting paid for the days off? At that point, the overtime pay would be double time which should be fine. Or do you just have to work 40 hours a week? I am a little confused by this. In America, overtime pay is the law and organizations have to have special dispensation to avoid paying overtime (such as agriculture). Most companies also give paid vacation time but it tends to change between organizations.

Comment

Working...
                                X