Is it necessary to go to college?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it necessary to go to college?

I would say it depends on whether you gonna be working for a company or for yourself. If you want to find a job in a company, you'll probably need to have verifiable qualifications but if you gonna be starting your own business and you know you can study on your own then you definitely don't need college because at the end of the day all that matters is that you are able to do what you need to do on a computer.

Comment

I graduated in 2013 with a BA. I was 39 at the time, and working as a manager at this plant. I know school can be difficult, especially with juggling family and a job, but it really is needed these days. Just "knowing your stuff" isn't going to cut it. Even mechanics today can't just walk in and show they can work on cars, and get hired. They need that certificate/diploma to back them up. Good luck!

Comment

In the US, you have the so called EOE or EEO - equal opportunity employment. Over here, the age is a big factor. That 39 years of age of @primalclaws1974 is a big disadvantage and despite the work experience and the recent diploma, he would have a difficult time finding a job here. For the certification courses, I always recommend that to the young people in our office, particularly to those who have potential and aged below 30 years. It's not useful to take certification courses if it is not related to your position in the company.

Comment

I don't think it's necessary but I think it's helpful. You could find all they are going to teach you on the internet, I assume, but having a lesson plan to guide you towards bigger goals which is often the biggest thing that a school provides helps a lot. From my experience, albeit of a different course, teachers usually just pull out lessons from online resources anyway and it's mostly just how they arrange those lessons and how they guide you that provides value.

Comment

If you're planning on working at a company and want to be in management, then yes, you should go to college and get a degree. If you're planning to just "be a part of the team" and don't care about moving up in the corporate world, then going to college is up to you. If you're going to start your own business / consult firm, then I don't think it's really necessary.

Comment

Whereas, I agree with the statement above that a good mix is necessary, I have found that there is no "secret sauce" when hiring someone. I have had incredibly bright, well educated people fail at the simplest of tasks and high school dropout excel at the same.

What I would say is that currently, in the white collar climate, a Bachelor's degree is the minimum necessary to get in to most jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by KylerA View Post
                Is it necessary to go to college to study IT, I mean I know a lot of computers and hardware and I was wondering is it even worth it? I really need to use some advice.
                It all depends on exactly how you plan on using your skills. If the employers who have jobs that match your skill set require a diploma of some sort, then you would want to go to college. If you plan on freelancing your way through it all, your references and work history would be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by leanchamp View Post
                  Whereas, I agree with the statement above that a good mix is necessary, I have found that there is no "secret sauce" when hiring someone. I have had incredibly bright, well educated people fail at the simplest of tasks and high school dropout excel at the same.

What I would say is that currently, in the white collar climate, a Bachelor's degree is the minimum necessary to get in to most jobs.
                  I agree. I never got much out of the school system myself and knowing that even my most ditzy friends got degrees makes me believe in it even less, so I try and not make it the highest requirement but I do realize that it's one of the most practical standards of measure to employ.

Comment

University and/or college is a necessity for certain jobs. However, it shouldn't be necessary to make a decent living. However, in the last 15 years or so in the US it has become that way. Note, globalization, the 2008 meltdown from financial deregulation, and robots have taken a toll on what jobs are available. Therefore, all that is left are fast food jobs etc. However, at one time those jobs were for teenagers, people just starting out, or desperate people; they were not real jobs.

Of course, now Trump is promising that decent paying jobs will come back but I have my doubts. I think the good things he might do will be outwieghed by the political and/or racial unrest that will be unleashed, and we are seeing some of that now.

Oh, and by the way, only 22 percent of American adults have at least a bachelors degree. Considering the situation I just mentioned, this is a big problem.

Comment

In the Philippines, college education is a requirement for big companies. In some companies, a college diploma is needed for promotion to supervisory position. For the undergraduate, it is impossible to be a manager. Of course there are exceptions but the norm is a college degree for employment.

Comment

I would have to say that yes it is necessary, I know that experience is essential but qualifications and appropriate training are so important

Comment

Yes you have to go to university, it will bring you new skills

Comment

This is necessary if you do not have the minimum knowledge to be developed. Even literate speech without education is not put and is not formed. It is also taught.

Comment

I agree partly with the author of the topic and with the last post. Studying is important, but it is not necessary to receive it in a college or university. There are many distance courses where you will get the necessary knowledge even when you are already working. This is very convenient. I have so familiar learned Chinese already working closely in China. Just signed up for courses with the language course aggregator https://linguatrip.com/en/chinese/ and for half a year became a fairly advanced user.

Comment

According to me, my answer is yes.Though you know everything about the computer hardware and software you need to get qualified from the recognised organisation. It not only help you to improve your career but also help you to improve your knowledge even more.

Comment

Working...
                                X