Is it necessary to go to college?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it necessary to go to college?

I think that education is needed to get most jobs in today's economy. Many employers require certain educational background and skills. Even if you are very good in a certain area, if the education isn't there you may not get hired. The economy is competitive now and in order to get a good paying job you need it. I think college is useful depending on the lifestyle you want for yourself.

Comment

We normally hire consultants - our term for temps who handle the job of carrying computers that we install in the branch offices. There was this smart consultant who showed me that he could install the needed software for new computers. And he was able to. And then we discovered little by little his knack for the technical, applying what he learned in the university. However, he doen't have a college diploma and had to quit school due to financial constraints. Now that he is working and earning, I advised him to continue his studies because only when he gets the diploma that we can hire him for a permanent position.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Moose View Post
        I am afraid it is needed to have a college diploma if you want to get ahead in your career. Otherwise, you will get stuck to a low level position the rest of your life.
        Alright, thank you for your opinion.

Comment

I can just see it's quite a complicated subject, a lot of opinions vary and some say it's important some say it's not, I don't know a clear answer.

Comment

Over here, a college diploma is your ticket for a job interview. No matter how good you are in a job, you cannot enter a big company without a college degree. That's for the formality of some companies but for banks, it is a requirement set by the Central Bank. Particularly bank officers, no undergraduate will be qualified.

Comment

People who go to college open up their choices for jobs, and any jobs these days require a college degree. The more connections which are collected during your college career, the more options you will have when you begin your job search. Having a college degree often provides for greater promotion opportunity. I think people begin to fully understand the importance of a college education nowadays, and that's a good thing.

Comment

When you go to college you should have two things in mind:

- The diploma is a requirement for almost any job (except highly creative jobs where you need a portfolio of your work). Some jobs require a Master degree, so you may have to go further in order to gain access to those jobs.
                - Going to college does not guarantee you will get a job after you finish, but it increases your odds dramatically

And keep in mind that simply going to college is not enough. You need to have experience by the time you finish (in order to increase your odds of getting a job), so consider working a part time job or volunteer somewhere during your studies.

Comment

if you dont want to go to college, better do business, there is no degree requirement in setting a business, some drop outs became biollionares

Comment

I find that going to the college is always the best choice. No matter how much you think you might know at the moment, there is always something new you can learn there, and a diploma will definitely broaden your horizon and allow you to get employed in many more different places. At a job interview, you will always have an advantage with a diploma over the ones without one.

Comment

From experience I can tell that many companies will look at your work experience first. If they find it interesting enough, they'll make you go through a competence test, or in some cases a series of tests and tasks. Thus, the actual skills you have will probably prove to be more important than any diploma you can show them.

On the other hand, the college or university might be the exact place where to get the skills necessary. And possibly it will be this much more difficult to get any sort of job experience, and hence, any sort of skill, without having gone to a college.

If you can afford it, and if you are in no actuall rush to start your career right away after high school, further education might be a good idea. If the school is at least halfway decent it can't harm you.

Comment

I think that it is necessary, every young person needs to get educated before they try to get a job,
                        and I think that finishing their education level at college is a minimum.

Comment

It is necessary to go to college to survive the business world because there is so much new terminology and rules in the business world today. You will not be able to survive it if you just go off on your own knowledge. I always advise everyone to go to college. If you really apply yourself , you will come out of it well educated and equipped.

Comment

Obviously with some professions it's absolutely necessary (such as a doctor, lawyer, etc.).

However, with the rest it can be tricky. Many times if you can get a job in the field without a degree then you can sort of earn the degree equivalent with experience. With a lot of jobs, the employer looks at the degree not as a well-trained potential employee, but rather one that has proven they have the ability to learn and be trained. College shows your ability to learn and improve yourself and thus the employer believes you can do the same with them.

It's really just a case by case thing.

Comment

I think depending on your actual goals and how much knowledge you already have in that industry. For instance I want to open an transitional house in reality you do not need a degree to do that but me personally I feel like I need a business administration degree so I can run my business properly because I have absolutely no experience in running a business.

Comment

You don't have to go to college to learn about something, however if you're hoping to be hired in any specific industry then it is always better to be able to prove your credentials with some form of official qualification, as this means that you would find it easier to compete against other candidates who would have similar knowledge about the area that you're hoping to go into. It's all about making it as easy as possible for your employers to see that they're making a good decision by hiring you. If you're able to do this, then you can be sure that you will find it a lot easier to make your way through the hiring process.

Comment

Working...
                                X