Is it necessary to go to college?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it necessary to go to college?

Depends on what you want to learn, but the answer to your question is usually NO. You don't need to go to college especially if you have the bases from high school, you can just keep on learning at home, just buy a good manual or look for some really good tutorials. Even at college you are learning alone, only that there are teachers who tells you what to learn, but in the end you have to spend countless hours working the problem yourself at home, that's how usually IT goes.

Comment

I recently spoke with the IT director of the County where I live, looking for advice about how to break in to the field. He told me that with the saturation of the IT job market and people with marginal 'home computing' skills, the way you stick out to a prospective employer is to get as much education and experience as you can. Experience can certainly trump formal education, but I think employers these days are looking for both, and they can be patient with their hiring because of the overwhelming number of applicants. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevB View Post
        Depends on what you want to learn, but the answer to your question is usually NO. You don't need to go to college especially if you have the bases from high school, you can just keep on learning at home, just buy a good manual or look for some really good tutorials. Even at college you are learning alone, only that there are teachers who tells you what to learn, but in the end you have to spend countless hours working the problem yourself at home, that's how usually IT goes.
        That's a very good perspective, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeronimo511 View Post
          I recently spoke with the IT director of the County where I live, looking for advice about how to break in to the field. He told me that with the saturation of the IT job market and people with marginal 'home computing' skills, the way you stick out to a prospective employer is to get as much education and experience as you can. Experience can certainly trump formal education, but I think employers these days are looking for both, and they can be patient with their hiring because of the overwhelming number of applicants. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
          Thank you. Certainly with the world today being how it is, it's kind of a dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by KylerA View Post
            What's weird is that if all require experience, how would people have experience to begin with if nobody is willing to hire?
            Yeah. Unless they are only willing to hire people who are already working or worked in the field, they are setting themselves up for a diminishing hiring pool. Many of these kinds of companies need to loosen up their requirements or offer training programs, otherwise they'll be short of talent and thus, fall behind.

Comment

Experience can be gained from internships at different companies also. That's how I was able to get hired at my current job that required prior knowledge.
              To answer your question: Yes, it is mandatory you finish college if you want to have a shot at bigger companies. The IT field is an oversaturated one and you need to have that diploma.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzyon View Post
                Experience can be gained from internships at different companies also. That's how I was able to get hired at my current job that required prior knowledge.
                To answer your question: Yes, it is mandatory you finish college if you want to have a shot at bigger companies. The IT field is an oversaturated one and you need to have that diploma.
                This is sound advice for a lot of people - even those who had to drop out of college. Demonstrable knowledge in a field can be more important than a degree for some of these jobs, such as programming or IT, which are fields where many people are self-taught and are just as knowledgeable (or arguably more, as they have more hands on experience) as any graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by bogartdelarama View Post
                  I don't think it is. I'm earning money and I've only finished high-school.
                  It depends on the field, I suppose.

Comment

While I don't personally believe you need college, I do believe it's the best way to get your foot in the door these days. A couple decades ago, a college degree was only required for the highest, most skilled trades, whereas now many of the trades that didn't need one before are requiring them to even consider your application.

That said, college is a growing bubble and it's probably going to burst soon. Tuition and loans are so incredibly high that your average 18 year old, in one year, is taking on a level of debt it took his grandfather a lifetime to accumulate. Many of the loans here are predatory, and there are so few people out there who can show a recent high school graduate how to properly plan and pay for his college. Many students are shouldered with an entire lifetime's worth of debt before they ever finish college, and right now the market is proving even with the degree many can't find jobs.

So my overall answer is no, you don't need college. If budget is your concern and you're worried about not getting a job, then go trades. Trades are always going to be in demand, and most of the time it will take less than two years to get your certifications and experience. With the IT/online field growing it's easier than ever to start your own business doing something, so as long as you're sticking with something you should eventually find yourself in a comfortable spot.

Comment

Originally posted by BudgetAcrobatics View Post
                      While I don't personally believe you need college, I do believe it's the best way to get your foot in the door these days. A couple decades ago, a college degree was only required for the highest, most skilled trades, whereas now many of the trades that didn't need one before are requiring them to even consider your application.

That said, college is a growing bubble and it's probably going to burst soon. Tuition and loans are so incredibly high that your average 18 year old, in one year, is taking on a level of debt it took his grandfather a lifetime to accumulate. Many of the loans here are predatory, and there are so few people out there who can show a recent high school graduate how to properly plan and pay for his college. Many students are shouldered with an entire lifetime's worth of debt before they ever finish college, and right now the market is proving even with the degree many can't find jobs.

So my overall answer is no, you don't need college. If budget is your concern and you're worried about not getting a job, then go trades. Trades are always going to be in demand, and most of the time it will take less than two years to get your certifications and experience. With the IT/online field growing it's easier than ever to start your own business doing something, so as long as you're sticking with something you should eventually find yourself in a comfortable spot.
                      That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I think you're right in terms of college is a growing bubble that will eventually burst. I've studied it and it's not only a matter of debt, it's the graduates, a lot of graduates out in the world and a lot of diplomas and degrees, they're only ever increasing and college is growing, that is going to make it useless because if everyone has a computer, a computer is not that special of value anymore, same thing with degree. Money also, its value decreases if it is only increasing in quantity, wouldn't you say the same about degrees and diplomas?

Comment

If one doesn't have a college degree, then the chances of getting promoted to higher position is almost nil. I think that's what a college diploma is for. In actuality, what you studied in college doesn't always translate into what you're going to do in the actual world. Old people used to tell me that experience is the best teacher and I guess they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Moose View Post
                          If one doesn't have a college degree, then the chances of getting promoted to higher position is almost nil. I think that's what a college diploma is for. In actuality, what you studied in college doesn't always translate into what you're going to do in the actual world. Old people used to tell me that experience is the best teacher and I guess they were right.
                          So you would say it is necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by KylerA View Post
                            So you would say it is necessary?
                            I am afraid it is needed to have a college diploma if you want to get ahead in your career. Otherwise, you will get stuck to a low level position the rest of your life.

Comment

In our country, college education is a must for white collar jobs. Unless you dream to be a blue collar worker, finish you education. Especially in banks, the HR department is very strict with their requirements. An IT personnel would need more units like in masters or certifications like those Microsoft or HP short courses. But still and all, college education is required in most offices here.

Comment

More than anything I think college is a way for employers to see that you can succeed at something that can be so difficult at times. If you can get hired by a company in your desired field without going to college, you can work hard and work your way up in that field. The hard part about that is actually getting hired in the first place. If you're trying to enter a field without a degree or previous experience, the company has no way of knowing that you're capable of handling the tasks at hand. In that sense it is very important. From an actual skill-set standpoint, probably not so much. Most companies could adequately train you if they felt you were the right person for the job. Some skills like accounting probably need more time than training could allow and that's where the classroom is more beneficial, but for a lot of jobs a couple weeks of training could suffice. I think it really depends on how lucky you see yourself getting with being hired on in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                X