Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do logistics companies track their trailers and containers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do logistics companies track their trailers and containers?

Some companies has their own ways on how to track their Drivers/ Trucks/ Trailers or any transportation services in Delivering from one place to another. We all have different techniques.

But I heard a Company Global Logistics DWC LLC they track their Drivers while delivering on one way to another using Automated Vehicle Tracking System.

Wanna know how it works? Seems loke interesting?

Re: How do logistics companies track their trailers and containers?

It depends... different companies use different services, but the system behind most of them is GPS.

Comment

Hello,

Most of the time, they use GPS systems or beacons which are placed in the transport truck and which allow the vehicle's movements to be traced.

Comment

I strongly agree with Matt. Most of the companies use beacons to keep track of their trailers and containers. These devices help you with real time visibility of your individual packages.

Comment

I had posted a thread in the General Discussion about my attempt to work in a trucking company. I could have asked about the details of their operation but I was in such a hurry. From what I know they are using the GPS for tracking the movements of their trucks. I just donít know the exact name of the tracking system but I have seen some of their trucks with the signage at the rear which says about the GPS (that is to discourage the would-be hijackers). In this age of technology Iíd say it is a mistake not to employ the digital tracking system.

Comment

Seriously, the world used to be in a very crude manner before the advent of technology and the development it came with. Life in general have been upgraded in all possible ways with what technology can do where it's applied. Without the use of technology in tracking software, I wonder how possible it would be for truck companies to keep tabs on their vehicles on transit? But with the use of GPS technology, tracking of these trucks is made possible by one click away on the computer system tracking software.

Comment

I believe that the obvious answer to this question would be through the use of GPS technology because it's something that is very commonly used in tracking almost about everything in the world. Not only companies trucks are limited to being tracked with the use of GPS devices or technology, even human beings and private vehicles are all subject to being able to be tracked with GPS devices.

I have watched this being carried out in several high technology movies and it seems pretty easy as long as you have the GPS system and tracking coordinates to activate the tracking. In my country today, there are several private security firms offering such services to track your vehicle when it's stolen by armed robbers who aren't smart enough to disable the system tracker in the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatman View Post
                I believe that the obvious answer to this question would be through the use of GPS technology because it's something that is very commonly used in tracking almost about everything in the world. Not only companies trucks are limited to being tracked with the use of GPS devices or technology, even human beings and private vehicles are all subject to being able to be tracked with GPS devices.

I have watched this being carried out in several high technology movies and it seems pretty easy as long as you have the GPS system and tracking coordinates to activate the tracking. In my country today, there are several private security firms offering such services to track your vehicle when it's stolen by armed robbers who aren't smart enough to disable the system tracker in the vehicle.
                Keeping track of the transporting of supplies is one critical step that logistics companies should be aware of. I had the experience of seeing delivery trucks that were pilfered of the contents. Making matters worse for the company, the pilferers were the truck driver and the truck helper. The truck would pass by the home (either of the driver or the helper) and bring down some sacks of the vegetables for delivery to the client. When the audit report is done, the driver would reason that the cops took the missing sacks. The use of GPS would definitely discourage that thievery because the company would know the exact route of the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandoy View Post

Keeping track of the transporting of supplies is one critical step that logistics companies should be aware of. I had the experience of seeing delivery trucks that were pilfered of the contents. Making matters worse for the company, the pilferers were the truck driver and the truck helper. The truck would pass by the home (either of the driver or the helper) and bring down some sacks of the vegetables for delivery to the client. When the audit report is done, the driver would reason that the cops took the missing sacks. The use of GPS would definitely discourage that thievery because the company would know the exact route of the truck.
                  Sometimes I wonder what goes on in some people's head when they are well aware that their actions might leave them hurt big time should they get caught in the process. Why would someone joke with his means of livelihood for just scraps? Most times, I tag it all down to personality problems and lack of priority. The use of GPS will definitely eliminate all the possibilities of the driver going off route, although some crocks would have the knowledge on how to turn off the GPS for a while and do whatever they had in mind.

Comment

Working...
                  X