Poll: How Long have you been looking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopLink
    started a poll Poll: How Long have you been looking?

Poll: How Long have you been looking?

Less than a month
    10.00%
    Less than 3 months
    20.00%
    Less than 6 months
    10.00%
    Less than 1 year
    20.00%
    Over 1 year
    40.00%
    Just curious. For those who have been looking for a job, how long have you been looking?

• TopLink
    replied
    I haven't had many jobs over the years. 3 in fact. in over 40 years. I guess I'm old School. But I have learned a couple of things from all the people I have hired over the yeras and from those I have worked with:
    1. Try not to leave a job until you have another one to go to. It could take a while to find the next one.
    2. Look at a new role in terms of prospects and salary, but also business culture. Are they a good fit for you.
    3. If you made a bad decision and find the job or company is not what you expected, don't tough it out too long....... look for another job!

Leave a comment:

• artyarson
    replied
    Re: Poll: How Long have you been looking?

I've been working the one for 1.5 years but now I'm starting again. The company I was working for has made a number of very counterproductive decisions, so the personnel is heavily affected by that, too.

Leave a comment:

• rz3300
    replied

Well I know that it might be cliche, but I like to think that I am always looking for a supply chain job. I am always looking for any employment that might offer me better opportunities than I have right now. This would be the easiest and most align with my career path, but I do have a job and I am not actively out there seeking a job doing interviews, but I do look at available jobs at least four times a week just to stay in touch. I am hoping that one day it will pay off.

Leave a comment:

• Noreht
    replied

I do currently have a job, but I am still open to new jobs and have been actively looking for almost 2 years now. Before that it took my 3 months to get my current job.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Moose
    replied

Originally posted by KylerA View Post
    I guess so, but I just lost hope in it really.
    I understand your situation. With plenty of freelancers coming in, competition will be very stiff and it's very hard to get selected. When I was just starting out, there was not much competition, and getting projects that paid by the hour was not so difficult.

Leave a comment:

• KylerA
    replied

Originally posted by Doc Moose View Post
    You must go the extra mile to get the project. It is not enough that you show to the employer that you are interested in his project. You must also send him samples of your work so he could have an idea of your capability to deliver the desired output. For example, if the employer wants 100 names, email, and address, then you send him samples of 5 names to convince him that he will be getting the right results. And more importantly, your bid must be low enough than the others to get a good chance of being selected.
    I guess so, but I just lost hope in it really.

Leave a comment:

• BudgetAcrobatics
    replied

I spent six months looking for a job, which actually evolved into where I'm at now. I was working as general kitchen staff in a hospital, where I did all the dirty work (and in a kitchen, there's a lot of dirty work you have to do that keeps the place as clean as a customer should expect it to be.) I still do a lot of dirty work, but my job has evolved past kitchen help to managing the store rooms (dry, frozen, and non-time sensitive.) A good deal of my job is trying to anticipate kitchen need which can be exhausting.

I ended up here through a reorganization of staff that left us one supervisor short and I was brought up to speed to deal with it temporarily and after a bit of time the big dogs decided I was doing the job fine. I'm starting to really enjoy the work, especially when I can come in under budget, as that leaves a little bit of wiggle room to try new product and recipes. Normally the budget's so tight I can't get my finger in the clipboard, so I like finding ways to optimize things. I also work with local food suppliers, which is interesting. It's like a field trip whenever you can get out of the kitchen for a couple hours.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Moose
    replied

How can I get a positive feedback? or a job to begin with, or perhaps noticed?
    You must go the extra mile to get the project. It is not enough that you show to the employer that you are interested in his project. You must also send him samples of your work so he could have an idea of your capability to deliver the desired output. For example, if the employer wants 100 names, email, and address, then you send him samples of 5 names to convince him that he will be getting the right results. And more importantly, your bid must be low enough than the others to get a good chance of being selected.

Leave a comment:

• KylerA
    replied

I understand how you feel. I was there before. It was very hard to get a head start but once you get your first positive feedback, you will easily get notice by employers. Just remember, try and try until you succeed.
    How can I get a positive feedback? or a job to begin with, or perhaps noticed?

Leave a comment:

• Doc Moose
    replied

I've tried them. There are too many people on there just as there are many people in the world employed that the chance of you getting a job is so little that it's not worth the effort anymore.
    I understand how you feel. I was there before. It was very hard to get a head start but once you get your first positive feedback, you will easily get notice by employers. Just remember, try and try until you succeed.

Leave a comment:

• KylerA
    replied

Have you considered taking your expertise online? I mean there are online job sites like freelancer.com, odesk.com, etc. where you can offer your service for a fee. You can even consider fiverr.com.
    I've tried them. There are too many people on there just as there are many people in the world employed that the chance of you getting a job is so little that it's not worth the effort anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Moose
    replied

Information Technology, Computers are my priority but basically just anything at all to get some money for myself.
    Have you considered taking your expertise online? I mean there are online job sites like freelancer.com, odesk.com, etc. where you can offer your service for a fee. You can even consider fiverr.com.

Leave a comment:

• KylerA
    replied

Originally posted by AtlantaSports View Post
    What sort of job are you looking for, Kyler?
    Information Technology, Computers are my priority but basically just anything at all to get some money for myself.

Leave a comment:

• AtlantaSports
    replied

I'm really tired of looking for jobs around here, It's been more than 6 months and it's really tiring and frustrating for me, especially when I need the money.
    What sort of job are you looking for, Kyler?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X