Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supply Chain & Logistics Conferences - Why so Expensive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply Chain & Logistics Conferences - Why so Expensive?

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure about you, but I've been to a lot of conferences over the years. Some were great, some were OK, and some were not very good at all.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on 2 things.

1) Why are they so expensive? Conference companies obviously make a lot of profit from running conferences. But are they the right people to run conferences? Think about it for a moment. What are their motives? Do they really have the delegates interests at heart? Or the needs of the industry?

2) What make an awesome conference/seminar in your view? I've been to some where the speakers were great (which is rare). Whee the other delegates were great. Or even where the host was great and he created a fantastic vibe during the event. What does it for you?
    Supply Chain what?

Re: Supply Chain & Logistics Conferences - Why so Expensive?

Hi Loggie,

Conference companies are commercial businesses. It's about making a profit.

The good ones get a fair balance of a good program and value for delegates. But I agree in principle that they are quite expensive.......

You wonder though where some of them drag in their speakers from?
    Regards

Top Link - Site Founder

Comment

Originally posted by TopLink View Post
      Hi Loggie,

Conference companies are commercial businesses. It's about making a profit.

The good ones get a fair balance of a good program and value for delegates. But I agree in principle that they are quite expensive.......

You wonder though where some of them drag in their speakers from?
      I also find some conferences a business and not only in the field of supply chain. There are lots of conferences that sell tickets and mostly in the field of IT. Our office usually pay for slots when the conference is relevant to our company and sends people to attend. But for employees to attend paid seminars on their own, no one is doing that unless it is a certification.

Comment

Some conferences are indeed ridiculously overpriced. Sometimes there is no apparent reason for it, but sometimes the reasons are nonsensical. I was at a conference once where the organisers thought it a good idea to have a string quartet for some reason. A string quartet! Now I'm all in favour of good music and all, but this was ridiculous. Everyone could do without the darned strings and everyone could use a smaller conference fee. I actually facepalmed there.

On the other hand, the costs of organising a good conference can go pretty high: the veue, the keynote speakers, the conference materials, all cost money and very often there just isn't any way around it.

Comment

@carryall, I'm also wondering what the music is for? A conference is a formal discussion in sharing information like ideas, suggestions or anything that is relevant to the subject matter. It is really ridiculous to have that string quartet in that conference. Do you think it has something to do with profit? Putting in a mini show like that would entail a budget hence the high conference fee is somehow justified. With conferences that I had attended, the venue is normally sponsored by companies with businesses related to the subject matter.

Comment

Same thing with free or paid seminars. It promised to help you make a lot of money, but in the end, you are forced to buy something which is a product the speaker is selling. I got wind of the intention and stopped attending his seminars and much less looking at his product.

Comment

The companies that run conferences are businesses just like anyone else, and they need to make money out of it. As long as people keep paying for these conferences, they can keep their prices as they are, or even try raising them for the next conference. There are a lot of costs that you might not think of, too, particularly if you need to stay over in accommodation during the conference if it is away from your home town. You have to pay for the time that people spend planning, and the time that they spend actually delivering the conference itself when the time comes around to do it. When you think about the numbers of people who are actually involved, you will probably realise that the costs aren't as unreasonable as you may have thought previously.

Comment

Conference companies are businesses, and just like all businesses, they aim to turn a profit! If racking up prices means more profit (of course it does), then they'll do that. Especially if they still get customers. It's how the business works.

Comment

I think generally they feel they can charge more since it can technically be considered an investment for anyone who spends on their program, but mostly I think you are right in that it's hard to gauge the validity of the coordinators as their goals are more inclined towards their own profits, but I think it can be tempered if you research on the speakers before buying the tickets which is easy to do nowadays.

Comment

The first requirement is for a much higher level of supply chain understanding. In other words, do we understand the full extent of our supply/demand network? Because the potential for disruption may lie several stages away from the operations under our control (e.g. at the second or third tier in our supply chains), we need to recognize the dependencies that exist beyond our immediate customers and suppliers.

They are also acutely aware of the need to enlist external aid to help erect these key infrastructures through either financial or technical assistance. This, however, cannot ensure a sustained growth path for such economies. To dovetail with the globally connected world of commerce and to sit squarely on the platform of an extended supply chain visibility, there are other soft infrastructure that needs to be in place to ensure smooth connectivity for trade (through trade facilitation) and logistics, and hence economic growth. This second level of infrastructure development comes in the form of information and communications technology where some developing economies, by current default, can afford to leapfrog on legacy technologies and embrace new generation applications, including Web 2.0 and cloud computing, to drive their engines of growth.

Start small in demonstrating the value while building trusted relationships. While it will not be easy, our ability to discover and deliver untapped benefits through collaboration will be critical in positioning our supply chain for what we know is coming and in preparing to respond to what is not yet known.

The time for consternation and procrastination is over. As the world around us continues to transform at an incredible pace, supply chain leaders must also transform in embracing the new reality and the next evolution of opportunity.

Thanks,
                    Shri Vaibhavi Logistics

Comment

I have attended a number of conferences and I agree some of them are quite expensive and do not necessarily offer the quality it promised. The expenses for these conferences are often borne by corporates and are counted as part of staff training, so sometimes companies put it down as a contribution towards the training and development of their staff. Organisers of these conferences are definitely only concerned about the profit line. This is why it was a business model in the first place. They plan and organise these events, book the hotel, invite the speakers then charge attendees an exorbitant fee to attend.

Conferences like these should rather be organised by qualified educational institutions or industry associations.

Comment

Working...
                      X